Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Phil , no costume on this one LOL

IMG_20151024_141142.jpg

IMG_20151024_141223.jpg

IMG_20151024_141402.jpg

IMG_20151024_142017.jpg

IMG_20151024_143836.jpg

I like it so far , I think it splits better that the x25 but a few more cord will tell me better , it seams to enter the wood at a better angle and the thinner bit goes in further so when it hits the flare you have a bit more momentum , the handle feels good in the hand with no vibrations that bothered me .
A little pricey up here at msrp of 109.95 .

No Phil , no costume on this one LOL

IMG_20151024_141142.jpg

IMG_20151024_141223.jpg

IMG_20151024_141402.jpg

IMG_20151024_142017.jpg

IMG_20151024_143836.jpg

I like it so far , I think it splits better that the x25 but a few more cord will tell me better , it seams to enter the wood at a better angle and the thinner bit goes in further so when it hits the flare you have a bit more momentum , the handle feels good in the hand with no vibrations that bothered me .
A little pricey up here at msrp of 109.95 .
The angle and handle shape remind me of a Helko.http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html. Specifically the Vario series.

Finally got to chop down some trees with this today (X15 in black). No lie, this makes traditional chopping axes obsolete. It's that good. Even with a semi dull edge from my 8 yo helping make kindling last weekend. Previously my Hults Bruk axes were king but this one takes it to a new level. I'll definitely be looking to pick up more as they go on sale during the off season.

image.jpeg

Edit: I didn't think the molded handle felt at all slippery. I know some of us had our concerns when they put out the all black version.

Finally got to chop down some trees with this today (X15 in black). No lie, this makes traditional chopping axes obsolete. It's that good. Even with a semi dull edge from my 8 yo helping make kindling last weekend. Previously my Hults Bruk axes were king but this one takes it to a new level. I'll definitely be looking to pick up more as they go on sale during the off season.

View attachment 455976

Edit: I didn't think the molded handle felt at all slippery. I know some of us had our concerns when they put out the all black version.
It's like a tree sword.:heart::clap:

i just cannot say enough about my fiskars pro chopping axe.
same with the pro splitting axe and the maul.
phenomenal performance.
now if i can just keep my toes. :laughing:

IMG_20151031_164846.jpg

Works in knotty spruce , doesn't beat a hydro in the small stuff but in rounds 6" and up it works fine .
My daughter wanted to try it but with several overstrikes that would make you cringe with a wooden handled axe she got to quarter a split LOL

IMG_20151031_170105.jpg

Just like the Fiskars and wooden handled axes , no vibrations when you strike a round .

Hopefully "Coming soon to a store near you" LOL
I think it should be around 75$ US when you guys get them .
I think it's a bit better than the Fiskars but it just means that I now have 2 great splitters , when I have larger rounds I can tackle them from both sides .
The Wooden handled Husqvarna maul is the next one on the list .

I've been a huge fiskar fan since 2008 or so. I"ve got the X7, X17, X27. I had the X25 first and liked it, but gave it to my brother after finding the longer handled X27...

With that said, I bought the S2800 husky last year... split about a cord in the spring.... Split with it a ton this past two weeks. I like it a lot, just wish it had a longer handle.

Also is the Stihl Pro splitting axe. I bought this last winter after the husky was on backorder and my fiskars was at a buddies house in another state. I like it, but it is heavy like a maul, but has a shorter handle. It tends to bounce on harder or knotted up pieces, and can get stuck fairly easy in softer woods, or green woods. the handle is BEEFY. the over strike guard is a nice feature, but its still not as effective as the fiskars or the Husky S2800. I did a short little video of the three the other day. If the husky had a 36" handle, it would be my favorite.

I've been a huge fiskar fan since 2008 or so. I"ve got the X7, X17, X27. I had the X25 first and liked it, but gave it to my brother after finding the longer handled X27...

With that said, I bought the S2800 husky last year... split about a cord in the spring.... Split with it a ton this past two weeks. I like it a lot, just wish it had a longer handle.

Also is the Stihl Pro splitting axe. I bought this last winter after the husky was on backorder and my fiskars was at a buddies house in another state. I like it, but it is heavy like a maul, but has a shorter handle. It tends to bounce on harder or knotted up pieces, and can get stuck fairly easy in softer woods, or green woods. the handle is BEEFY. the over strike guard is a nice feature, but its still not as effective as the fiskars or the Husky S2800. I did a short little video of the three the other day. If the husky had a 36" handle, it would be my favorite.

Awesome review!!!!!!

I never realized how much smaller the Stihl was than the X27 when fondling it at the Fleet store. But your side by side comparison....holy cow.

I'll wait for longer models of the Husky to come out. That's just too short for me.

You made a great point. If you split on a block, the shorter length is ok but not for splitting on the ground. To me it makes sense and I split all on the ground.

Again....great review. Thanks!

most people say you should split on a block. I know a good tool should not hit the dirt and a splitting block prevents than 99% of the time. For me, it is about speed. My time is limited and valuable. I don't have the time, or brute strength to pick up 2-400lb wet oak rounds to get them on the splitting block, then pick up each one as it falls off to resplit. if you are good, your axe should never hit the ground anyways...

Decent review and vid! The thing with splitting large ones on the ground is, most times you need firm/hard ground. Gets muddy/soupy/spongy and productivity, mine anyway, falls off fast. That's 3/4ths of the year here. So, I tend to noodle or use the big maul or steel wedges and sledge until I can get to a piece I can pick up, or tip over, flop, to put on a block.

dancan, how long is the handle on the new Stihl Splitter? It appears to be about the length of an X25.

Sorry about the late reply , yes , it's the same length .
I'm 5'9" and split on the ground , the length works fine for me , I have a friend with an x27 , gonna borrow it someday so I know .
I like to put a square of plywood , 2x12 or if you look at my last pic a piece of 2x glulam under the rounds to keep my lawn or driveway safe LOL

Back