Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Fiskars has been selling splitting mauls , I think the x27 is their most popular maul, it comes with a lifetime free replacement warranty, I bought one a couple months ago and so far like it very well. Guess I also live under a rock because I would not have known about Fiskars mauls if this forum wasn't here to read. I have no idea when Fiskars started making mauls.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-S...kcompar-20&ascsubtag=5689d58248308f199ccec157
Fiskars Splitting Maul - Is that a new item???

That Wikton Bash looks similar to the Fiskars splitting maul but with a shorter handle. @zogger, were waiting on your review of the Fiskars maul... What's it going to take, need us to come cut some rounds for ya? :hi::laughing::happy:

It's not in my hands yet, I ordered it but it has been backordered at the distributors for weeks now.

Yes Fiskars has been selling splitting mauls , I think the x27 is their most popular maul, it comes with a lifetime free replacement warranty, I bought one a couple months ago and so far like it very well. Guess I also live under a rock because I would not have known about Fiskars mauls if this forum wasn't here to read. I have no idea when Fiskars started making mauls.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-S...kcompar-20&ascsubtag=5689d58248308f199ccec157
The X-27 is considered a splitting axe not a maul due to the weight. They offer an 8lb maul, see here.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/IsoCore-8-lb-Maul-36

Like the x27 very well for the splitting I do, for the tuff stuff I use a homemade hydraulic splitter that runs off my tractor.
That 8 pound Fiskars maul also looks great .

One thing I really like about the X27 is that it splits better than a traditional maul, but is much lighter, so I can use it for an extended period of time. The heavier maul would have to be much more effective for me to want one.

One thing I really like about the X27 is that it splits better than a traditional maul, but is much lighter, so I can use it for an extended period of time. The heavier maul would have to be much more effective for me to want one.

I'm trying it for the new isocore reduced shock handle. And that's it. Even though it is an 8 lber, which I am real "meh" about, I need *something* I can swing now and not blow my elbow/wrist/shoulder out. It's just a test. My original supersplit with the skinny wedge head is so far the best I ever used at any weight, most splitting with least fatigue and least amount of perceived shock. I never got an x27..mostly because I just like that original head design better, makes more sense to me. I am hoping the new handle system really works, and if so, and it sells, eventually they will offer a lightweight splitting axe with the same handle system. Or, thinking way ahead, I'll just cut the hammer head part off the back to reduce the weight some for faster swing, I prefer faster over heavier. I don't need a splitting tool to drive wedges, I can use a sledge for that. (and they have isocore sledges, too..we'll see how the maul works first)

I'm trying it for the new isocore reduced shock handle. And that's it. Even though it is an 8 lber, which I am real "meh" about, I need *something* I can swing now and not blow my elbow/wrist/shoulder out. It's just a test. My original supersplit with the skinny wedge head is so far the best I ever used at any weight, most splitting with least fatigue and least amount of perceived shock. I never got an x27..mostly because I just like that original head design better, makes more sense to me. I am hoping the new handle system really works, and if so, and it sells, eventually they will offer a lightweight splitting axe with the same handle system. Or, thinking way ahead, I'll just cut the hammer head part off the back to reduce the weight some for faster swing, I prefer faster over heavier. I don't need a splitting tool to drive wedges, I can use a sledge for that. (and they have isocore sledges, too..we'll see how the maul works first)
Do you find yourself having elbow problems with the Fiskars super splitter?

Do you find yourself having elbow problems with the Fiskars super splitter?

Nope, not then anyway, mine went when I got into gnarly stuff and went back to the big maul/sledge/wedge. But since then,. anything sucks, but as long as it is only a few swings, tolerable, but a full session has not been in the cards....I went ahead and did the leveraxe test because I wanted to, and to see if any difference with the conventional axes and mauls.

Anywho, I'll know after this winter if I can still hand split a lot or not. If not, obvious alternatives out there, spendy for my budget but justifiable then. I am far enough ahead on c/s/s I am not worrying about it.

Nope, not then anyway, mine went when I got into gnarly stuff and went back to the big maul/sledge/wedge. But since then,. anything sucks, but as long as it is only a few swings, tolerable, but a full session has not been in the cards....I went ahead and did the leveraxe test because I wanted to, and to see if any difference with the conventional axes and mauls.

Anywho, I'll know after this winter if I can still hand split a lot or not. If not, obvious alternatives out there, spendy for my budget but justifiable then. I am far enough ahead on c/s/s I am not worrying about it.
I did notice significantly more vibration from the Fiskars when splitting hardwood. I also got tennis elbow when I would do a lot of limbing with a heavy saw followed by longer splitting sessions. Did 3 cords last week with the Husky axe and no problems however it was all softwood.

I did notice significantly more vibration from the Fiskars when splitting hardwood. I also got tennis elbow when I would do a lot of limping with a heavy saw followed by longer splitting sessions. Did 3 cords last week with the Husky axe and no problems however it was all softwood.

The only time I notice vibrations is when I try to split something that the axe bounces off of.

However, that shock is usually transmitted to everything that was broke on the left side of my chest a couple years ago.

I had one this past fall that felt like a lightning bolt to collarbone. Yow.

It's only in those extreme instances I feel anything aside from the first week of back into cutting and swinging in the summer after a few months off.

I really wish I could find one of the originals to try.

That's a 32" handle right?

Back