Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish I could find one of the originals to try.

That's a 32" handle right?

28"

When they went to the x series, they lost the straight wedge shape and went to a conventional flared end axe shape. I bet from a marketing standpoint, it didn't "look" like an axe. I think all they had to do was keep the original head and just stick it on a 36" handle and it might have been better, by a little bit anyway, but that's a guess.

28"

When they went to the x series, they lost the straight wedge shape and went to a conventional flared end axe shape. I bet from a marketing standpoint, it didn't "look" like an axe. I think all they had to do was keep the original head and just stick it on a 36" handle and it might have been better, by a little bit anyway, but that's a guess.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me where the fiskars are actually made? I see their website says "designed in Finland". Also..any suggestions where to buy one? Down here in New Orleans and don't see them anywhere....thanks

Yep. If you can't find one at Ace or Wal Mart, check Bailey's and Amazon. If you're already a Prime member, you'll likely save a bit on Amazon.

For anyone looking for one Bailey's has x27s on sale $20 off list till the fourth. Though i think my recomendation would have to be save up a little more and spring for the s2800. After now owning one for about a month and putting it through a few cords of oak, some elm, some ash, some hackberry, and a bunch of other stuff I fully believe it is a signifigantly better tool than the fiskars. The extra mass of the head and the progressive tapper of it is a signifigant improvement over the fiskars. That coupled with the reduced noticeable vibration translated back through the handle and I believe it is a real winner of a tool. The s2800 has now become my go to splitting tool and the only way i would go back to the x27 is if my s2800 was broken or stolen.

I Thunderdomed the Fiskars and a piece of bald White Oak today that I had cut on wednesday.

I wasn't real sure how this was going to turn out since it had no hide on it. Those always seem to be a challenge.

6 hits. 3 on one end, 2 on the other, and finishing blow with it horizontal.

I Thunderdomed the Fiskars and a piece of bald White Oak today that I had cut on wednesday.

I wasn't real sure how this was going to turn out since it had no hide on it. Those always seem to be a challenge.

6 hits. 3 on one end, 2 on the other, and finishing blow with it horizontal.

Cool! Actually I have never tried a long one like that..I'll give it shot sometime.

Don't you think the smaller(shorter)ones split easier? I cut around 16'' long for my stove and we cut 24'' for Dad's furnace and I think the shorter rounds split considerably easier.

Oh I 100% absolutely agree.

All I meant was you approach longer pieces the same way. Some split just fine and some not so much, which is exactly the same for shorter pieces..

Oh I 100% absolutely agree.

All I meant was you approach longer pieces the same way. Some split just fine and some not so much, which is exactly the same for shorter pieces..
I split some long ash pieces today and the fiskars handled it nicely. Granted it was ash, but it did as well or better than the true value 8 lb maul I used as well. I'm dying for some 8 lb isocore reviews(zogger!!!).
image.jpg
image.jpg
Two things I noticed today that are of note using the two equally(other than the greatest attribute of the light weight of the x27 that let's u split with half the effort. Huge!):
-the flanged handle of x27 worked well with the slippery gripped winter Mechanics gloves that had no grip grooves on the palm(fail).
-the sharp edge of the x27 works well as a pick to stand up logs instead of picking them by hand when I used the true value maul.

Little things but add up to time and effort. There's a reason I haven't used the traditional maul in awhile!

I couldn't take it anymore and ordered the isocore 8 lb'er today. I'll report back in two weeks with results. My guess is better than traditional 8 lb, but for long sessions the x27 better. Either way it's all fun. And I'm going to hose the speedo 22 ton gas splitter down with some wd-40 tomorrow too! Lol

Well my buddy turned these
View attachment 486370 Into this
View attachment 486371

I'm going to rehang them and do the rope around the handle trick to help against overstrikes.

He is from England and has no formal training with firewooding so I give him credit for getting out there and doing it.
Should of given him the Fiskars and some chainmail long johns lol. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back