Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rehung (again) the two axes from the children's camp. Wrapped them up with a little rope to hopefully prolong handle life. The camp employees broke the fiberglass handle that originally came on the left axe so eventually any handle is going to be broken. They do have a X27 now so these are backups.

I'll probably wrap the rope in electrical or duct tape as well to prevent the knot from coming apart.

image.jpeg

Rehung (again) the two axes from the children's camp. Wrapped them up with a little rope to hopefully prolong handle life. The camp employees broke the fiberglass handle that originally came on the left axe so eventually any handle is going to be broken. They do have a X27 now so these are backups.

I'll probably wrap the rope in electrical or duct tape as well to prevent the knot from coming apart.

View attachment 494372
kinda sounds like a waist of time teach staff not to hit the handle

Can anybody else chip in with a big maul opinion? I'm considering a heavyweight splitter for tackling the gnarly bits. I've got an X27 which is the go-to splitter, also got a 6lb toolstation special which I don't like, often gets stuck, but I do intend to take it to the grindstone and put a better edge on it which might help. however I feel I'm left to resort to wedge and sledge a bit more than I'd like and find myself considering a good 8lb maul. Options I can get over here in the UK:

a. Fiskars 8lb isocore. Not imported to the UK and now Fiskars have (finally) responded to my emails i know they don't plan to have it on the 2017 catalogue either, poo. however i did find an amazon.com seller that will ship across the pond. after international shipping and the annoyingly expensive import tax, it comes out at £77. I like the x27, I like the look of the isocore damping and the look of the head, i like the lifetime warranty..i like that a lot....i have a typically bad aim...however if fiskars uk don't import will it be easy for me to claim should i ever break it? and if i do ever break it, and i can't claim, i can't rehandle.

b. fiskars x46 spelthammer. I get the impression that this is a European version, and an older version of the isocore maul. https://www.alza.co.uk/fiskars-kala...HZ0Z0jA-zOJ4vqUaAuOX8P8HAQ?layoutAutoChange=1 It doesn't look nearly as sexy or well designed. not found it at many sites and those that do have it seem thin on info like the one linked....seem a bit dodgy tbh. however if they are trusted then under £40 (although its more like £65 to £70 on the other sites). warranty 24 months, extended warranty +96 months....what ever that means....maybe its lifetime?

c. stihl 8lb pro splitting/cleaving hammer. Most places this seems to be £80 or more but tonight i found it for £68....if it turns out to be real. hickory handle so nicer to use? but it will break after a while, although with its overstrike protection it should last a few missed swings. If it ...when it breaks will any standard Ash or hickory handle fit it? I'm guessing the eye might be custom? I found a replacement handle for the smaller version (3kg) for £25 so using that as a guide replacement handles are avaialable, not cheap, but not ridiculous. The stihl hammer does look really simple but incredibly sexy with it

Not found any other options yet....things like the wilton bash just don't seem to come over the pond, nor do council tools as far as I can see.

Think i'm leaning to the stihl...sexy and the cheapest ...initially at least....and I hope that since a big maul would only usually get swung at a bug round to get the first split, hopefully even my aim is good enough to avoid most overstrikes. i'll stick to using the sledge on wedges. Anybody that has some experience or thoughts to offer on the options listed, or any other ideas, want to chip in?

Honestly the Isocore looks to be a better made tool than the Spelthammer. I don't know anyone who has had an Isocore long enough to go head to head with a Stihl maul. I'd be curious to see how they stacked up.

I agree, the spelthammer looks very basic....looks like a fibreglass handled cheap maul with a head that is a traditional american maul bit with wedged wings just to try and make it different, it doesn't look appealing. is Fiskars US doing its own product design and keeping isocore to itself? Come on...share, please.

Can anybody else chip in with a big maul opinion? I'm considering a heavyweight splitter for tackling the gnarly bits. I've got an X27 which is the go-to splitter, also got a 6lb toolstation special which I don't like, often gets stuck, but I do intend to take it to the grindstone and put a better edge on it which might help. however I feel I'm left to resort to wedge and sledge a bit more than I'd like and find myself considering a good 8lb maul. Options I can get over here in the UK:

a. Fiskars 8lb isocore. Not imported to the UK and now Fiskars have (finally) responded to my emails i know they don't plan to have it on the 2017 catalogue either, poo. however i did find an amazon.com seller that will ship across the pond. after international shipping and the annoyingly expensive import tax, it comes out at £77. I like the x27, I like the look of the isocore damping and the look of the head, i like the lifetime warranty..i like that a lot....i have a typically bad aim...however if fiskars uk don't import will it be easy for me to claim should i ever break it? and if i do ever break it, and i can't claim, i can't rehandle.

b. fiskars x46 spelthammer. I get the impression that this is a European version, and an older version of the isocore maul. https://www.alza.co.uk/fiskars-kala...HZ0Z0jA-zOJ4vqUaAuOX8P8HAQ?layoutAutoChange=1 It doesn't look nearly as sexy or well designed. not found it at many sites and those that do have it seem thin on info like the one linked....seem a bit dodgy tbh. however if they are trusted then under £40 (although its more like £65 to £70 on the other sites). warranty 24 months, extended warranty +96 months....what ever that means....maybe its lifetime?

c. stihl 8lb pro splitting/cleaving hammer. Most places this seems to be £80 or more but tonight i found it for £68....if it turns out to be real. hickory handle so nicer to use? but it will break after a while, although with its overstrike protection it should last a few missed swings. If it ...when it breaks will any standard Ash or hickory handle fit it? I'm guessing the eye might be custom? I found a replacement handle for the smaller version (3kg) for £25 so using that as a guide replacement handles are avaialable, not cheap, but not ridiculous. The stihl hammer does look really simple but incredibly sexy with it

Not found any other options yet....things like the wilton bash just don't seem to come over the pond, nor do council tools as far as I can see.

Think i'm leaning to the stihl...sexy and the cheapest ...initially at least....and I hope that since a big maul would only usually get swung at a bug round to get the first split, hopefully even my aim is good enough to avoid most overstrikes. i'll stick to using the sledge on wedges. Anybody that has some experience or thoughts to offer on the options listed, or any other ideas, want to chip in?

The isocore is built well. Looks much better than anything else I have seen on the shelves around here for a full size maul. If it can't bust it, it is noodle time. And it has a hammer head, so you can drive wedges with it as well, although I haven't used mine yet for that purpose.

That is exactly what we said for years when they offered the spelthammers in europe but not in the US!

Yeah, my googling found those old threads! is Fiskars not one big company?! I get the impression the spelthammer isn't common here. in fact no big mauls are common here.

i have a x27 and a sthil pro splitter the sthil is far better for the gnarly stuff its not even close love the pro splitter and the handle is proprietary and only the ox(sthil)handle will work

I picked up one of these last year .

image.php

http://www.garant.com/html/en/produits/produit.php?idProduit=1008140&typeProduit=famille

70% off , store close out .
After splitting maybe half a cord with it I put it away , it worked OK but every now and then when you hit a round in just the right way you'd get a vibration/shock wave that would go through the handle that you just don't get with wood , the X series or my Stihl polyamide .
Today , I gave it to a friend , he just started burning wood so his list of tools is short , he was very happy .
To me , it was 30% too much after the 70% off LOL

View attachment 494372

Hi,

I have used this 8 lb maul for more than 10 years (5-6 cords/year). As you can see, I am not very good at aiming... Lot of bad hits on the protector: 16 ga SS, 4 small screws at the neutral axis. Never broke the handle anymore...

Attachments

• IMG_5638.JPG
    IMG_5638.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 43
Back