Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I have used this 8 lb maul for more than 10 years (5-6 cords/year). As you can see, I am not very good at aiming... Lot of bad hits on the protector: 16 ga SS, 4 small screws at the neutral axis. Never broke the handle anymore...

Howdy! Good job on that protector, simple and effective!

Lined up most of my "striking tools" for a family picture, in order of most used to least used.

Truper Super Split, 8# Iron City maul, Estwing camp axe, Kobalt hatchet, Fiskars x24 & x27, Chopper 1, 6# no-name maul, 3 1/2 Collins Michigan.
thefamily.jpg
Here's a view from the top, to show how they all compare.

topview.JPG
I'll post my thoughts below, if I get these images to work right!

I never swung an axe, owned a chainsaw, or lit a fire until I was 48. I split most things with the hydraulic splitter, but lately have been wanting to split some of the easier stuff by hand.

The Truper was my first purchase, I think $26 at the time from Lowe's. It was blunt and took a lot of filing to make it work. I bought the Fiskars next, when they became widely available, but in truth, the Truper fits me better. I'm always getting the Fiskars stuck, where the Truper wiggles right out. I like the Truper well enough that I bought another one this week. It's changed slightly.
oldnew.JPG

The Iron City Maul is my real gem, $4 at a farm sale. It will bust anything, if you can swing it long enough. From left to right, Truper/Iron City/X27:
threekings.JPG

As for the rest of the collection: the Estwing is my limbing axe. The Kobalt hatchet stays on the splitter. I want to like the Fiskars axes, but they just don't do anything that the Truper won't. The Chopper 1 I bought at a retirement sale...I actually like it a lot, but the Truper does the same thing without springs to break. The 6# maul is worthless, though I had high hopes for it, but $6 at a farm sale so I'm not out much. The Michigan axe is OK...wish I had something like that in 5# to try.

All in all, I use the Truper the most. It will split tough stuff (white oak), with some persistence, and it sends the easy stuff (red oak, hackberry, cherry) flying. I'd recommend it to anyone who thought the Fiskars was too much money. Likewise, I really like the the Estwing for limbing and the Kobalt hatchet. I've tried several other hatchets (Collins, Estwing, Fiskars), but liked the Kobalt well enough to buy a second one when I lost the first.

Thanks for reading.

Not a review but some info that was told to me , take it with a grain of salt .
I was talking to a purchaser with one of my suppliers today , they were a distributor for Whetterlings up here , Whetterlings has been bought by Gransfors Bruks meaning that the distribution of Whetterlings will no longer be sold as before , he didn't know if the name brand would continue but GB will be the distributor worldwide and they will decide who the limited number of resellers will be .
At this time Hultafors are negotiating with Husqvarna on continued production of the wooden handled axes/mauls but there is talk that they are not happy with a new price increase so they may be talking to Fiskars on a deal , there was a mention of a possible off shore component to that deal because of cost consideration .
It looks like the Hultafors labelled line will be available up here while the Hults Bruks line (same) will be available to you Southerners .
Time will tell which way Husqvarna will go .

I may not have been told the truth but I think that it was a credible source .
BTW , this in no way will affect the price of eggs or milk ;)

Wetterlings wasn't bought out by Gransfors Bruks. The guy who owns GB also bought wetterlings. This happened in 2009/10. They're still separate entities.

So I drop into Lee Valley today , I go over to look at the GB's , not a one in the store , I ask the clerk about it, they have more than 300 pieces on backorder , the reason is that the older master smiths are retiring and the new ones aren't consistent enough to meet quality control to keep up with the demand .

Mighty Mouse Logging
LLC

OK , so like I have this load of 16" to 18" long pine blocks you see so ,

IMG_20160501_163105.jpg

IMG_20160501_164631.jpg

IMG_20160501_165745.jpg

I don't regret spending a penny on all 3 of them LOL

What tool is in the first picture? It's not often you hear "this thread is useless without words!". Also, is the bit on the Stihl curved or straight?

damn i want one of those! I emailed fiskars UK, they aren't importing it :(. there is a seller on amazon.com that will ship but import tax and shipping nearly double its cost. For the mean time I shall admire from afar, and resist my splitting tool addiction disorder!

damn i want one of those! I emailed fiskars UK, they aren't importing it :(. there is a seller on amazon.com that will ship but import tax and shipping nearly double its cost. For the mean time I shall admire from afar, and resist my splitting tool addiction disorder!
Can't you guys get the 3900 or 4600 gram Fiskars mauls that have been on the European market for years?

Latest posts

Back