Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the spelthammer I think I've seen it as, it doesn't look as nice as the isocore to me..... Although it is an option. I've not seen any real world reviews on it either. I'm sure it's pretty decent.....my STAD just has me admiring the isocore.

45 series or 35 series , which is the better splitter tire ?

IMG_20160604_182030.jpg

IMG_20160604_182313.jpg

They both work fine LOL

I picked up a cheapie at Kmart today. It is a mid weight splitting maul for $23. I couldn't pass it up. It is a Bond brand 6.6 lb. splitting maul model 8012. It had a decent edge, thinish cheeks and a hooked heel kind of like the Big Ox or PA80. Handle is fiberglass and about 32"

I didn't give it a long term test but initially I like it a lot. I blew through some poplar and ash, moved on to some black locust with no problem other than burying it in the ground. The edge is none the worse for wear. It took a couple hits to get a twisted piece of apple and surprisingly blew right through a 20" forked maple stump piece.

They also had some nice looking Bond wedges. They were long and slim with a nice gradual taper. I may go pick up a couple. Maybe a maul for dad's day.

Pics to come. Once I'm on wifi

The balance is good. Better than my wetterlings/husqvarna maul which is similar in weight but shorter in handle.

Most of my other stuff is fiskars. I just picked up the isocore maul and I really like it. I'm a big fan of the original SS and I do a fair bit with the lighter splitting axe.

The soft spot on this one is probably the epoxied fiberglass handle. I imagine too many over strikes or much wedge pounding and you can kiss the Chinese epoxy job goodbye. I still like it. It is definitely going into rotation.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

re: epoxy
Idunno. I've got a Truper splitting axe that I use quite a bit, and the top of the epoxy has been cracked a long time without giving out. I've been using it hard for several months now, and still no wiggle in the handle. I've like it to loosen up so I can replace it with a wood handle, but it just won't give up.

On another note, my local Thiesen's has started stocking the Stihl pro splitting Maul. The head is shaped a lot like your Bond, but I sure like the price of the Bond better than $105 for the Stihl.

16b9d6c8cea0dd7e8b123084795e9012.jpg
e6f2480fd97431445185f90f54168f8c.jpg

Well the UPS man showed up today with my new X27! I pulled it from the box and went out back to play. Started on some smaller red oak, tears right through it! Split some maple and white oak, like others have said you have to pick your hits but still did good. I'm happy with it and you definitely won't get wore out swinging it.
I have a hydro splitter I built and I will definitely use this on smaller wood and a little aggression release!

Happy splitting everyone!

Finally hung the last head I had found in my grandpa's stuff.

I think this head was actually a scout axe as its a little big for a hatchet handle but has plenty of heft.

View attachment 507857

With the other three from grandpa's garage.
View attachment 507858

nice work rehandling the axes....I like. I have done some of mine, too... but mostly sanded them all down, stained and put some varnish on them... they had gotten dingy looking after so many years...

Any backstory on this? Assuming it was from my great grandpa who was a timber frame carpenter. He even built a water tower for one of the mining towns.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back