Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from Canadian tire and noticed they are carrying that new Fiskar Maul, seen a few pics here how are they for those with them already??

Hands down my s2800 is still my go, closely followed by the X27 but in my opinion you cant ever have to many wood slitting tools!

IMG_20160702_184515.jpg

I like mine , I use it more than I thought I would , no buyers remorse :)

xx_resized_3.jpg

Greetings from Tasmania, Australia. This is my first post here, although Ive been "lurking" for a while.

Tasmania is the Island State at the bottom of Australia to put you in the picture.

Here is a photo of the head of my 35 yo 8lb "Oregon" Blockbuster which i purchased from the local supermarket not long after I arrived in Tassy. You will note the triangular lump on one face which is designed to prevent the blockbuster from jamming in the split. Our local eucalypt tends to be stringy and the split pieces sometimes hold together by a few strings, meaning you may have to give the pieces another light blow to seperate them, or break the pieces apart by hand as you throw the cut pieces off for loading or stacking. This triangle does help in the removal of the blockbuster head if the strings are holding tightly, but I have not noticed any similar blockbusters (or mauls as they are known in other parts of the world) posted.

Ive been searching for a similar replacement with no sucess till recently, as there is a crack in the handle near the head which is holding OK, but the handle could fail sometime in the future. And I found one oneline, ordered it, and when it arrives it turned out to have a 9lb head instead of the 8lb head as advertised. Just too heavy for regular use, but Ok for the really tough stuff, the extra weight makes a huge difference. But it means I take two blockbusters when woodcutting, things used to be simple, now another thing to forget in the bush....

To continue from last post. Here are my blockbusters-

Top- Chinese ( I presume) 9lb ""Gator"; Middle 8lb "Oregon", Bottom 5lb "Nupla". I'll post and end on view in the next post as i can only post one photo at a time.
xx_resized_0.jpg

xx_resized_1.jpg

The "Nupla" head (on the left) type is a very common pattern used in Australia generally and for many years the only pattern you could buy in Australia, manufactured by local and imported manufacturers. As a kid I can remember Dad bringing the first one Id ever seen home, it sure was better than axe splitting.

I had always used 8lb+ big clumsy mauls & honestly thought the little x27 style heads would not stand a chance of splitting Aussie hardwoods but I got one & a S2800 husky one and have been pleasantly supprised. Impact force is weight multiplied by velocity simple. The speed you can swing a light x27 style axe yields high impact. I no longer use my old mauls....can't part with em but don't use em.

Ive been thinking about adding an Isocore maul and a Stihl splitting Axe. They would be completely frivolous purchases. With my X27 I can easily split 85-90% of what I cut and the rest gets noodled by an 80cc saw that doesn't care how irregular the grain is. I can't see myself being more productive. But hey, i don't smoke, play the lottery, or buy women so if I want to splurge on a splitting tool I feel I've earned it.

Ive been thinking about adding an Isocore maul and a Stihl splitting Axe. They would be completely frivolous purchases. With my X27 I can easily split 85-90% of what I cut and the rest gets noodled by an 80cc saw that doesn't care how irregular the grain is. I can't see myself being more productive. But hey, i don't smoke, play the lottery, or buy women so if I want to splurge on a splitting tool I feel I've earned it.
Go for it, no arguements will likely be coming from this crowd. You have earned a frivolous purchase!

Back