Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may just grind a new shape on my cheap 8lb maul and see what it does. It was like a $25 deal so no loss really if I mess it up.

Just grind a little at a time. Most mauls can be reshaped into a much better tool, but don't get the metal too hot because it will lose its temper. If I'm grinding on tools especially reprofiling stuff, I like to get three or four tools lined up. I'll grind on one for a minute (or less depending on its total mass), then on next one for a minute, and so on. This gives the tools a chance to keep cool, and gives me something to do while I wait.

@benp I've had my isocore for a little over a month. Split three cords with it and my x27. It's very comfortable to swing no vibration when it bounces off. I worry about over swings or crooked splits breaking the handle so I switch to the x27 as soon as I know it can finish. So far so good!

I've been using mine exclusively lately. Mainly because I have big stuff. And even though it's ash its splitting hard. Partly because they're fresh cut but also because of the twisted grain u mention. They were yard trees with big limbs that have a lot of twist. I've always assumed from wind but I really don't know either. Hopefully with time and cold weather they'll pop better or I'll have to break out the dreaded gas splitter.
IMG_3126.JPG

Isocore , get one , you won't regret it , I had a similar one from Garant , http://www.garant.com/tools/s/garde...-lbs-splitting-maul-with-fiberglass-handle-2/
I gave it away , it had a funny bounce/vibration at random which I did not like at all , the isocore feels is nice and dead like a wooden handle .
I found the textured grip too grippy at first but most of the dimpling has worn smooth so it's getting better , wood or the X series is nicer on the hands in that regard .
I'm not a big guy but I'll grab that one first to bust the big ones up , I run it the same way as my X25 ,split the rounds on the ground so I get max travel/speed of the maul , the hammer end is well hardened , hardly a mark on it from driving wedges .
I don't worry overstikes , that's what warranty is for and Fiskars is a great company to deal with .
Like I've said before , no buyers remorse on this one .
I'll ask some people that might know about spiral grain , I've seen it in many different species , both hardwoods and soft .

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!!!

Definitely going to look into getting one.

Alright, so the general consensus for the cause of twisted wood seems to be....

Guys with the Isocores.......

Any updates after using for a while?

I was thinking I would like something a little heavier to swing.

Go for it man, zogger approved! It's exactly what you would think, a normal fiskars, just mambo sized. Quality is there. Keep it sharp as usual and the sides cleaned and oiled with something

Thanks Zog!!!

I was waiting for your input since I remembered you were one of the first guys to get one.

I've had one for a week and used it on three separate splitting outings. It is a good compliment to the fiskars x27. I start by splitting pieces off the edge of a large round with the x27. When I encountered a spot that the x27 had trouble with, I would switch over to the heavier isocore. The isocore would generally bust through the tough spot in 1 to 3 swings. If I had continued to use the x 27 on the same tough spot, it might take me twice as many swings to bust through, or not at all. Once the tough spot is busted through, I switch back to the x27 because the isocore is more tiring to use. The isocore is too heavy to swing the same way I swing the x27. With the x 27, I swing for speed by starting with my hands far apart, and sliding my top hand down to meet the bottom hand throughout the swing. The extended orange grippy part of the isocore handle makes sliding the top hand while swinging more difficult. With the isocore, I lift the maul as high as possible with both hands at the base of the handle. The isocore is more powerful than the x27 because of the weight, but I can get a much faster swing with the x27. I would estimate that the isocore is about 1-1/2 times more powerful than the x27. The isocore handle seems slightly heavier than the x27's handle. It might be filled with vibration dampening foam, but I can't see inside the handle because there is a cap on the end of the handle. The isocore gets stuck in the wood much less than the x27 because of the wide flare of the isocore head. I purchased the isocore from Lowe's for $60. They had several in stock at my local store.

Isocore , get one , you won't regret it , I had a similar one from Garant , http://www.garant.com/tools/s/garde...-lbs-splitting-maul-with-fiberglass-handle-2/
I gave it away , it had a funny bounce/vibration at random which I did not like at all , the isocore feels is nice and dead like a wooden handle .
I found the textured grip too grippy at first but most of the dimpling has worn smooth so it's getting better , wood or the X series is nicer on the hands in that regard .
I'm not a big guy but I'll grab that one first to bust the big ones up , I run it the same way as my X25 ,split the rounds on the ground so I get max travel/speed of the maul , the hammer end is well hardened , hardly a mark on it from driving wedges .
I don't worry overstikes , that's what warranty is for and Fiskars is a great company to deal with .
Like I've said before , no buyers remorse on this one .
I'll ask some people that might know about spiral grain , I've seen it in many different species , both hardwoods and soft .
Like dancan, I also split rounds directly on the ground to get the most speed from my swings.

Isocore owner here. I don't use it much. It's not that I don't like it but it tires me out and my accuracy goes to **** after a while. It is overkill for most stuff. I usually swing the old style fiskars super split and actually I have been using the lighter fiskars splitting axe quite a bit. With good form it is amazing what it can split.

It does have its place. It is a good heavy maul with a sharp edge and good geometry. It's nice that you can use it as a sledge. Now that I have developed good technique with the lighter splitting axe it is hard to go back to bashing wood with a heavy maul for long periods. That being said I would replace it with the same should it ever disappear.

That's pretty interesting Dan. I don't really think the maul would of been any more work if they would of had the bungee/chain around the round also.

It's also $285 bucks. :eek:

Watching those guys split wood with a maul or axe led me to believe that the 285$ gizzmo was perfect for them ;)

Watching those guys split wood with a maul or axe led me to believe that the 285$ gizzmo was perfect for them ;)

My first thought was that in about the time it took to make one split and reposition the apparatus, I could've had the whole round split.

I was also thinking that the way they were using it would be hard on the elbows and shoulders. Kind of like a fence post driver. Loose grip, throw, and release, not death grip and bash.

My neighbor wanted to borrow my Isocore maul tonight and caught me right as i was going to leave on my stupid but necessary jog by his place. I texted back that sure I'd drop it off on the way by. Now he only lives about 300 yards down the road but it was comical when the middle neighbor had to watch me running by with The Hammer of Thor in hand as he and his wife waited to pull out for dinner I suspect. . They waved but I can only imagine their conversation as I jogged by carrying that medieval looking tool. I'm starting to realize why they never come outside much.
Anyhow, as I returned back from my (very short) run I found my neighbor whaling away at a triple trunked ash round about 36" in diameter. He's in his twenties, in good shape, and a military guy, and has also seen how good the Isocore maul is first hand. But thaaats a bit much. Of course I cheered him on for another 37 wacks or so because I'm older and jealous (and kinda evil) until he about blew his muffler bearings. After he took his last swing with sweat rolling off his nose i offered to give it a go with my own jogger sweat dripping off my own (much hairyer) nostrels. I wish I could tell you that I busted it in short order. But after peeling about ten outside pieces of "the onion" off of it I told him that now we've made it more manageable for my gas splitter.
They do have their place.
Although, he did call me the King of the Maul in amazement after my first five wacks knocked chunks off the outside of it! So at least one neighbor is not scared of me. And if you are wondering, I find that the gripped handle works best while jogging over the head with hands raised high. Just kidding. I like my quiet neighbors. But boy I wanted to so badly to watch his wife's face for kicks!

Latest posts

Back