Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this at the local hardware store this morning. Anyone try one of these? 4.5 lb channel lock brand. Looks like a copy of another design. The edge was covered with a plastic cover but the corner I peeled off was terribly knicked up and rough. Enough to think it's just another rebadged Chinese piece but I didn't look to confirm.
IMG_3218.JPG

Saw this at the local hardware store this morning. Anyone try one of these? 4.5 lb channel lock brand. Looks like a copy of another design. The edge was covered with a plastic cover but the corner I peeled off was terribly knicked up and rough. Enough to think it's just another rebadged Chinese piece but I didn't look to confirm.
View attachment 539255

That's just goofy. Channellock is still a decent brand. What do they think they stand to gain from sticking their name on something like that?

View attachment 539255
Looks like the one I got from my local ace hardware. Mine is yellow and black though and just a knock off brand. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seemed to split ok. Going to look at my local Walmart for a fiskars super split axe since it's a x27 and see how it holds up to the fiskars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Look back on pg. 50 of this thread, I use the Truper version of that quite a bit. If I have some big rounds that look like they'll split easy (cherry, ash, red oak), I'll save them back and split them by hand with that just to keep in shape.

I walked into Home Depot today planning to buy an Isocore and a couple of X15's but they didn't stock anything but the Fiskars hatchet. Ship to store is free though if I still want them next week.
That's pretty much how the home depot's stock stuff in Alabama too. No Makita chainsaws in store either.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just a heads up on the Fiskars chopping axes.

The Fiskars X15 and the rebranded Gerber XL Axe 2 ARE NOT identical to the all black Fiskars "chopping axe".

The X15 and XL2 are 23.5" long while the chopping axe is 28" long. I do not know if the heads are identical but I will verify that shortly.

I just ordered a X15 and an Isocore.

I will be running the Isocore head to head against the Husky S2800. Will be interested to see how that shakes out. Hoping things dont freeze solid by then as unfrozen wood is tougher to split than frozen wood is which will give more realistic results IMO

I'm starting to wonder about getting a Stihl universal hatchet. It would only be for splitting up kindling. As someone with a small stove it gets lit daily as there is no way to keep a fire in if I go out or overnight, so I do need a fair bit of kindling. Currently using a cheap box store hatchet, 1.1lb head and 14 or 15" fibre glass handle and tbh it works absolutely fine. I rather suspect the stihl hatchet couldn't do my kindling work any better and that I'm just lusting after something a little more sexy..... But then it's only £19 and Christmas is on its way. Had anybody got any experience with the stihl hatchet? And any comments, good or bad? It's this one I'm considering

00008816800.jpg

My isocore is just starting to be very moderately loose head to handle. Not much but it is there, and I think I am the culprit. A few times I had to bash it through with a sledgehammer when it got stuck too bad to get it out.

My isocore is just starting to be very moderately loose head to handle. Not much but it is there, and I think I am the culprit. A few times I had to bash it through with a sledgehammer when it got stuck too bad to get it out.

I wonder if Fiskars would warranty it?

Back