Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Fiskars would warranty it?
It's still completely useable, I just noticed a very very slight looseness. I am sure they might warranty it, but you aren't supposed to smash the back with a sledgehammer, only use the hammer end to drive wedges. So, even if it broke off, I wouldn't ask for a warranty.

It's still completely useable, I just noticed a very very slight looseness. I am sure they might warranty it, but you aren't supposed to smash the back with a sledgehammer, only use the hammer end to drive wedges. So, even if it broke off, I wouldn't ask for a warranty.

Zogger, if it gets worse I would warranty it. Ive thought about getting the isocore just so I can be rougher than I am with my x27. As they advertise. There's cases of taking advantage of a warranty and I don't think you are guilty of that.

I'm starting to wonder about getting a Stihl universal hatchet. It would only be for splitting up kindling. As someone with a small stove it gets lit daily as there is no way to keep a fire in if I go out or overnight, so I do need a fair bit of kindling. Currently using a cheap box store hatchet, 1.1lb head and 14 or 15" fibre glass handle and tbh it works absolutely fine. I rather suspect the stihl hatchet couldn't do my kindling work any better and that I'm just lusting after something a little more sexy..... But then it's only £19 and Christmas is on its way. Had anybody got any experience with the stihl hatchet? And any comments, good or bad? It's this one I'm considering

00008816800.jpg

Neil, I say get it. I also have a small stove and stock up on kindling. I have a brown handle Estwing, when I couldn't find it at one point, I bought another. Now I have two. I grew up on dull Wal-Mart hatchets and had a lot of fun with them and you're right, they do the same thing but there's something about a tool that looks so good it almost makes the work seem easier.

And yes, that hatchet is sexy.

Zogger, if it gets worse I would warranty it. Ive thought about getting the isocore just so I can be rougher than I am with my x27. As they advertise. There's cases of taking advantage of a warranty and I don't think you are guilty of that.
Appreciate the thought. I just wouldn't warranty anything I knew I had abused beyond the build spec/intended use. The looseness is very small and hasn't gotten any worse. it's built tough! It's now my fav after the original fiskars supersplitter.

Go ahead and get an isocore, it is much beefier than the x27 and should last a long time using it as a maul (and not a stuck wedge..). I got mine when I couldn't split at all for months due to wrist/elbow being worn out. Just the lessened shock from it got me back splitting. Worth every penny and then some.

With that said, i still would like something they don't sell yet. I would like the original supersplitter designed head, one lb heavier and that's it, and now on a 36 inch isocore handle/mount. Dang, that would be about perfect.

I promised an Isocore/S2800 shootout but I'm sorry it's going to have to wait until spring.

Real tough conditions (deep snow with partially packed snowmobile trail) made for tough traveling today. Only got one tree bucked and since the wood is frozen it's not nearly a challenge to split.

Once spring rolls around I'll be ready to let these two duke it out for king of the hill.

Super excited I just scored an Isocore at Tractor Supply for $47.99. They had a sign up by the axes and mauls that said 20% off, but dates were December 7-13, so I asked the manager when he was close by if that sale comes back around often. He says to me "not very often", rips the sign down and after a second or two pause says "but I'll give it to you". I think this is as close as I've been yet to deserving of a "You suck!" Gonna try it out later today.

i was looking through the search on the Gardena splitting ax and wondering if someone has one, and what they like or dislike about it, it;s come up on my camelcamelcamel that it's dropped in my price range wondering if i should just go pick up another Fiskar, i already have the X27 and X17 really like them and i have the sharpener but it doesn't really work the greatest on miss hits that grab a nice stone..... haha

upload_2016-12-30_14-25-39.png

Back