Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was looking through the search on the Gardena splitting ax and wondering if someone has one, and what they like or dislike about it, it;s come up on my camelcamelcamel that it's dropped in my price range wondering if i should just go pick up another Fiskar, i already have the X27 and X17 really like them and i have the sharpener but it doesn't really work the greatest on miss hits that grab a nice stone..... haha

View attachment 547059
It's identical to the Husqvarna S2800 which is a superior splitting tool when compared to the Fiskars splitting axes.

Some folks are scared of the 28" handle but after splitting many cords with it, I'm a believer.

It's identical to the Husqvarna S2800 which is a superior splitting tool when compared to the Fiskars splitting axes.

Some folks are scared of the 28" handle but after splitting many cords with it, I'm a believer.

i was wrong i have the X11 split Axe. i was looking at the Husqvarna, and the Garden for the fact that it did have 28" handle. I Really like the length on the Fiskar being at 36" but i find at times it's almost too long. i was looking to add something to the arnesal in the 28" range. but the price point is at 73.77 for the Gardena and 55.99 for the Fiskar 28" right now. just don't know if i should just wait it out to see if it will come lower or not.

Has anyone used this?.. looks like a good idea for straight grain, hard woods.. I don't know if it would work in anything a little spongy like poplar

Has anyone used this?.. looks like a good idea for straight grain, hard woods.. I don't know if it would work in anything a little spongy like poplar

Philbert's links pretty much sum it up. You will need to wade through some bickering but my take on these tools is they work extremely well in straight grained wood and very poorly in tough wood.

If you'd like to demo them they are currently hanging out in Iowa and we can arrange getting them to you.

i was wrong i have the X11 split Axe. i was looking at the Husqvarna, and the Garden for the fact that it did have 28" handle. I Really like the length on the Fiskar being at 36" but i find at times it's almost too long. i was looking to add something to the arnesal in the 28" range. but the price point is at 73.77 for the Gardena and 55.99 for the Fiskar 28" right now. just don't know if i should just wait it out to see if it will come lower or not.
I'd definitely pick one up for that price. Iirc retail is $100 and the best price I've seen otherwise is 79.99

Agree with svk's comments; short and straight grain wood they work pretty slick but longer and tougher pieces/species not so well.
d982ef0cb4e0a17cce3c901186de7835.jpg
This is a chunk of Oak about 18 to 20'' long and good splitting axe or maul would have been a much better tool.

In The Hills

Agree with svk's comments; short and straight grain wood they work pretty slick but longer and tougher pieces/species not so well.
d982ef0cb4e0a17cce3c901186de7835.jpg
This is a chunk of Oak about 18 to 20'' long and good splitting axe or maul would have been a much better tool.

In The Hills
Just curious, do you prefer the original (on right) or the second edition (left)?

Still using my old hardware store maul with a fiber handle replacement from many years ago whenever I am splitting on the ground. For instance, when the rounds are too big for me to lift. Then, and my preference is a trusty x27 once I can get the blocks up off the ground. So, typically, when I work my way down toward the trunk, I halve them on the ground, then lift to a block. My hill top is very rocky, and this straight grained red oak pops pretty easy, and sure as I'd bet against it, I'll have on split easier than I expect and strike through to the ground, or the block I'm splitting on. I'd be re-dressing the edge of my x27 at least once per round if I worked it on the ground.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I got an isocore this fall and love it for driving wedges and splitting more difficult pieces. I managed to split the head in 2 tonight hitting a wedge. We will see how fiskars warranty holds up. Can't believe I broke it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170126_181550150.jpg
    IMG_20170126_181550150.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
I got an isocore this fall and love it for driving wedges and splitting more difficult pieces. I managed to split the head in 2 tonight hitting a wedge. We will see how fiskars warranty holds up. Can't believe I broke it.
Wow, thats hard to imagine. I'll bet they take care of you and honor the warranty with no problems. Where in Iowa are you located?

Im located by Indianola. Right across the road from another member on here who likes makitas. Thanks for the link Philbert, I was just getting ready to start doing some googling on that very thing.

Latest posts

Back