Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im located by Indianola. Right across the road from another member on here who likes makitas. Thanks for the link Philbert, I was just getting ready to start doing some googling on that very thing.
I know exactly who this Makita\Dolmar guy is! Welcome to the site.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Had nothing to compare it to but the Isocore busted up this ash like nothing.

View attachment 547387

I just picked one of these up at crappy tire today, question for you did yours come sharp or did it just come to a point more or less with a bit of a blunt edge to it? They had 4 of them in the store and none where half as sharp as an axe? Or is this just how they are supposed to be.

I'm going to try it out tomorrow on some big rounds hopefully

I certainly couldn't shave with mine but it wasn't dull either.

I've seen other brands of mauls in stores that looked like someone purposely ground the point off them as a safety precaution. This wasn't the case with mine.

Got the replacement in the mail already, it was a very easy process to get the replacement. I would say the isocore isn't near as sharp as the X27 but it doesn't have to be. It seems to hold its edge better though.

I certainly couldn't shave with mine but it wasn't dull either.

I've seen other brands of mauls in stores that looked like someone purposely ground the point off them as a safety precaution. This wasn't the case with mine.
Got the replacement in the mail already, it was a very easy process to get the replacement. I would say the isocore isn't near as sharp as the X27 but it doesn't have to be. It seems to hold its edge better though.

you both didn't try and sharpen it, just used it as is?

Nope, it doesn't need to be sharpened. You can if you want but I don't know if it would gain you much.

I'll be honest - I've read most of the 59 pages of this thread, but perhaps not all of them. Apologize if this was covered and I missed it earlier.
What's the difference between the X Series X27 and the 36" splitting axe - other than the colour of the handle? I compared the Fiskars pages bullet by bullet and I didn't see anything that would affect the performance.

I'll be honest - I've read most of the 59 pages of this thread, but perhaps not all of them. Apologize if this was covered and I missed it earlier.
What's the difference between the X Series X27 and the 36" splitting axe - other than the colour of the handle? I compared the Fiskars pages bullet by bullet and I didn't see anything that would affect the performance.
Nothing at all. Just distributed though different channels. X27 has rubber grip and splitting axe has texture in the handle itself.

Brother, his son and I did some splitting today. All pieces were 20 to 24 inches long and most was Red and White Oak with a few Locust pieces too. Used Fiskars X27, X25 and a Husqvarna S2800 splitting axe. My brother prefers the extra length of the X27 and it does seem to generate more head speed. My nephew likes the 2800 and I probably prefer the X25. I started out using the shorter 25 and am very accustomed to it, so maybe that's why I like it better. The Husq 2800 does handle very well and had a bit more weight, but we all agree or tends to stick more. All told we split around 2 truck loads(dont have pics of all).
0b02d9600db0e5beb539c7d51694a034.jpg
b393ddf59577c30b2f6dba4c0e66e4b6.jpg
4bc5c2a655f5d0fa111fb6a9a5ac6d13.jpg

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

There's a couple threads going regarding mauls and in particular the Fiskars Isocore. Being this is the main splitting thread I'll put my review here.

Put in a couple hours with the Isocore this morning and really liked how it performed. For hard to split stuff it certainly worked much better than the X27 or any traditional maul I've ever used and I'd say it's marginally better than the S2800 in the tough stuff.

With that being said it is an 8lb maul and comes with the drawbacks of having to swing a big heavy head. I'm pretty tired and since I have neck troubles I've got a pretty stiff neck which has developed into a headache after dozens of full power swings.

Shock/slap transmitted through the handle is minimal except when hitting a tough piece.

Overall it does work very well and well worth the $ in my opinion.

There's a couple threads going regarding mauls and in particular the Fiskars Isocore. Being this is the main splitting thread I'll put my review here.

Put in a couple hours with the Isocore this morning and really liked how it performed. For hard to split stuff it certainly worked much better than the X27 or any traditional maul I've ever used and I'd say it's marginally better than the S2800 in the tough stuff.

With that being said it is an 8lb maul and comes with the drawbacks of having to swing a big heavy head. I'm pretty tired and since I have neck troubles I've got a pretty stiff neck which has developed into a headache after dozens of full power swings.

Shock/slap transmitted through the handle is minimal except when hitting a tough piece.

Overall it does work very well and well worth the $ in my opinion.

Thanks for the review. Hope you're feeling better again soon!

Regarding Isocore metallurgy:

I've been splitting on the ground this week. Mostly mixed dirt and gravel but there's a little bit of cement too.

I've had a few blow throughs and hit the edge on the cement a couple of times. Literally the edge still looks like new. I know the X27 would have had chips by now and would have needed to be sharpened.

I suppose since the Isocore is approved for hammering they used better steel all of the way through.

That tree was huge!

It's certainly turned into a long project! I might have to go scrounge up another one this big when this one is gone. I'm digging on the longer days now, can get out after dinner and do some more serious whackin. Those size rounds, once they are in 4-6 pieces, are all I can handle flipping them around, 2 to 3 times my body weight is about it anymore. Then the real splitting starts.

OK so I've had a little chance to ply with the Stihl pro maul and I an offer some views. I will try to come back with photos in a few days, and a few more comments in due course.

Firstly what I have needs some explaining as its not clear on the Stihl sites what the pro maul/pro cleaving hammer actually is.
here on the US site https://m.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/woodsplitmaul/ is the wood cutters maul, 6.6lbs and 33.5" of Ash. Also listed is the pro splitting maul https://m.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/prosplitmaul/ which it says is also 6.6 lbs but has a large steel overstrike protetion on a 35" hickory stick. hmmm
Now the confusion starts, as the co.uk site has 3 versions http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...s-and-hammers/2996-20866/Cleaving-hammer.aspx
first is clearly the same as the US woodcutters maul, 3Kg (thats 6.6lbs) and 85cm (34") Ash stick. For a few pounds (sterling) more you get the same but with a Hickory stick, then third version is the pro 90cm (36") hickory sticked, steel overstrike protected and...3.8Kg head. that works out at 8.3lbs ..hmm is it the same as the US pro maul and if so which site is right, which wrong?
Well...I suspect it is the same but both are wrong/misleading. I may try and weight the head to prove this but I know the head is heavier than 6.6lbs. I have another 6lb hardware store maul and this stihl thing is far, far heavier. It may not be 3.8kg though...as the head is clearly marked '3.5' which i take to be Kg, or 7.7lb maybe the difference, the 300grams or 0.6ish lbs is the handle? maybe the others are actually 6lb head, 0.6lb handle? That's not what either site says but, perhaps. Anyway, mine is definitely the overstrike protected, 3 foot long handled heavy weight.

first impressions...its well made, and heavy. ...
I'm gonna add some confusion to this.
i just went to a stihl dealer to get the maul but inadvertently came back with the "cleaving hammer":lol:. they are not the same product but are close cousins. the one i have has the stihl code 0000 881 2009. it also seems (from the pics i see in internet) to be the stihl AX30C. i found this name "cleaving hammer" googling the code mine has. basically is not as wide as the maul is. the head is supposed to weight the same 3kg (or 6.6pounds) on both models. the maul is wider and shorter. the hammer is thinner and the striking back is a bit longer (away from the handdle i mean). i dont think your are supposed to hit steel wedges with the hammer, only aluminum or plastic ones i underestand the maul on the other hand is abble to hit steel.
after saying that i have to tell you this thing looks like a maul:crazy2:!!
i think the handle is made of ash wood. the overall weight is 3.8kg (8.3pounds)
it has a nice finish but seems less of a luxury model. less labor involved than the maul i would say.
the angle of the cheeks is flatter than the maul.
i had the maul in my hands a few weeks before it felt lighter but it could be the handle difference (or just a better balance but i didn´t take a swing with the maul just lifted it from the floor).

now some pics to explain the confusion
2n0nf5e.jpg

that is the code

t5naxf.jpg

the head has some writting on it, is reads 3kg (the weight) and BH on the handle side and BX and B4 on the opposite side. the distance of the cheeks at the widest part is 6cm (2.36 inch)

2mee5ap.jpg

the L is 202mm (7.95inch)
A is 5cm (2 inch)
C is 9cm (3.5 inch)
B is 6cm (2.36 inch)
E is 65mm (2.55 inch)

4htfdu.jpg

i´m gonna add more info later
so far i don´t think it can do anything that my argentine made splitting axe cant do. i wanna take it back and get the maul

Back