Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this was a Collins True Temper, I thought one bought the other out. It was red. One whack too many on something hard.

You can't see well from this side, but the head is not mushroomed at all. I seldom use an ax to drive something, but, sometimes I get too lazy to walk up my steep back yard to the shed. Especially if it's getting late in the day and I'm, tired, Joe.
Makes you wonder if they were really wailing on it or if there was a defect in the metallurgy?

I think that they are the same, but the price on the Gerber hatchet is always much, much, more.

Philbert
Fortunately the price on the OT hatchet is less than Gerber or Fiskars prices. It has better features too in my opinion.

Makes you wonder if they were really wailing on it or if there was a defect in the metallurgy?
I broke it a few years back and threw it under my shed. I forget if I got another ax stuck and tried to drive it through or if I found an old wedge by the wood pile and tried driving it . As I said there is no mushroom on the head. I would never put a full swing on an ax driving something, not enough metal there, Joe.

Estwing hatchet review. I will start with overall appearance. It is a very good looking tool. Nice and shiny and the stacked leather handle looks great. It came nice and sharp also. I got this hatchet with the purpose of it being a camp hatchet serving multiple purposes. It is great for splitting kindling which is mostly what I've used it for so far. I did chop down some very small trees to test it out and it performed good. I've used the back side of the hatchet to hammer in some fence posts around the garden and to tap in some wedges while bucking an awkward tree in the woods. I can see it being useful for camping tent stakes and even being broad enough to hit nails. I like how it seems indestructible in design and the only thing it might ever need one day is a new leather handle. My only complaint is it had multiple things on it saying it was American made but had a sheath on it made in another country. I plan on having a friend make me a leather sheath for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
Ozark Trail hatchet review. From the information I collected this is a copy but not a rebadged Fiskars X7. Studying the OT then going to homedepot and inspecting the X7 this seems true. Anyway onto the Ozark. It has a sharp edge and good splitting head design like the x7. Same sheath/carry handle design. Two things I like more than the x7 are for one the price. 15 compared to 25 dollars. Second is the handle has a better feel and a thicker more textured softer rubber grip. Now for using it in the field I can only compare it to my Estwing hatchet not the x7 because I don't own one. For kindling splitting this tool is great. I don't put much effort into kindling, usually one handed swings with the estwing and ozark trail and sometimes both get stuck halfway then I just pick up the hatchet with wood still stuck in and slam it down to finish it off. The estwing needs this done a little more than the ozark trail. Not a big deal and both are good for the casual kindling task but when it comes to chopping a small tree down or cutting a limb in half the Ozark out performs the Estwing. For a fair comparison test I used both hatchets in the same piece of wood and did a dozen swings to see how they performed. The pictures show that the Ozark trail made it further into the wood and removed more chunks every swing than the estwing. Overall opinion is it's a nice cheap hatchet and works well but if I had to pick just one hatchet it would be the estwing because it can cut and hammer things and will last longer. I give both hatchets two thumbs up and don't regret either purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 88
I've watched a few of Buckin Billy Ray's videos and noticed he leaves the handle about 1/4" about the top of the head. I'm assuming this helps with wedging and locks the head on a little more? Does anyone else do this?

I've watched a few of Buckin Billy Ray's videos and noticed he leaves the handle about 1/4" about the top of the head. I'm assuming this helps with wedging and locks the head on a little more? Does anyone else do this?

I've set mine like that for several years but not quite a 1/4" .
I also chamfer the top edge to give it a "finished" look .

Here's some victims err I mean test subjects to do a little rust removal and hand rubbed finish so I can hone my skill before I do the grandparents axe.

The standard axe is one I rehung for the guy a couple years ago.

IMG_8600.JPG

To get back on topic of a review thread, here's my Hudson Bay pattern axe. This really chops nice and with significant authority for being so light. Does a decent job splitting too.

Down side is that with the small amount of holding wood, the head wants to walk off the handle. I'm going to re-hang it this fall and leave a little handle past the top of the head and then really wedge it good to see if I can solve that problem.

IMG_8794.JPG

Latest posts

Back