Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got to break out the X15 that has been in the garage for over a year. Although I only split versus chopped with it, I'm glad it finally saw wood anyhow.

I've used its sibling, the all black "Fiskars chopping axe" quite a bit. The X15 has the rubberized grip and a shorter handle.

I'm not sure if I prefer the longer or shorter handle yet. But the rubberized grip on the X-series is definitely superior to the molded plastic on the basic model.

IMG_9079.JPG IMG_9080.JPG IMG_9081.JPG
(Orange tape added to the basic model as it's very easy to lose in the woods otherwise.)

Interesting, that older axe looks more like the length of the x21, 709mm, 28.5". I just noticed, found those details on fiskars.co.uk but it's not on the .com. Has it not arrived over there? Frustrating we still don't get the isocore either.

Did you use 1, or both hands on the x15 Steve?
I'm still waiting on the postmen for my 17.

Well I found a blowdown balsam to try them out head to head.

I'm going to have to stick with the longer handled, all black version as the superior chopping tool. That 5 inches of length gives a better swing and just feels right.

The X15 is still a great tool and will get the nod for canoe camping as the shorter handle will tuck into the pack better.

The X15 with its new razor sharp edge cut noticeably better than the other version that's seen a year of abuse. I'll have to give that one a once over with a stone or file.

Interesting, that older axe looks more like the length of the x21, 709mm, 28.5". I just noticed, found those details on fiskars.co.uk but it's not on the .com. Has it not arrived over there? Frustrating we still don't get the isocore either.

Did you use 1, or both hands on the x15 Steve?
I'm still waiting on the postmen for my 17.
Looks like the X21 is a Europe only product.

I just don't understand why Fiskars doesn't offer all of their products everywhere.

I don't understand why STIHL made an MS230 and an MS250; an MS650 and an MS660; why Dolmar makes 6+ saws that are identical, aside from 'dumbed down' P&Cs. But they are all richer than I am.

Why aren't arctic handles available in every country? Why are some saws sold only with tool-less tensioners in some countries, but only with bar nuts in others? Why do women insist that the toilet seat always be down?

Do they think those other models will not sell here?
Are they all made in the same country - Fiskars is an international company?

I suppose that there are some costs for advertising, stocking, carrying additional models. Maybe they are concerned about introducing confusion? Is it a niche that competes with their (always more expensive) Gerber line? Why is the ocean always near the shore?

Philbert

Good points. I see the reasons for more models to increase sales (niche or perceived niche) but not less.

Although I know for a fact that many corporation's ranks of middle management are full of butt kissers and "yes-men" who are not necessarily the brightest bulbs in the box and are only in their jobs because of who they know. And that is often where these dim witted decisions come from.

When I messaged fiskars uk to ask if the isocore would be available here I was told , 'No' and it made me think fiskars uk (or europe) may be quite a different company almost from the US fiskars, no idea though, just a feeling.

Maybe I should set up as the UK end of an arboristsite Fiskars world wide supply network, X21s go West across the Atlantic, isocroe importation East across the pond.

My X17 arrived today, I'm looking forward to trying it. first impressions it feels heavier than i expected so I'm sure it will split nicely, definitely a 2 handed tool though! edge isn't razor sharp like my x27 was out the box, but It won't take long to file it up

When I messaged fiskars uk to ask if the isocore would be available here I was told , 'No' and it made me think fiskars uk (or europe) may be quite a different company almost from the US fiskars, no idea though, just a feeling.

Maybe I should set up as the UK end of an arboristsite Fiskars world wide supply network, X21s go West across the Atlantic, isocroe importation East across the pond.

My X17 arrived today, I'm looking forward to trying it. first impressions it feels heavier than i expected so I'm sure it will split nicely, definitely a 2 handed tool though! edge isn't razor sharp like my x27 was out the box, but It won't take long to file it up
Any idea what the difference is between the x25 and x21?

Taken from fiskars.co.uk

x25 splitting axe XL -
Width
235 mm
Length
774 mm
Height
45 mm
Weight
2400 g

x21 splitting axe L
Width
165 mm
Length
709 mm
Height
36 mm
Weight
1600 g

X17 splitting axe M
Width
165 mm
Length
600 mm
Height
36 mm
Weight
1500 g

So could it be the x21 is the same head as the X17(based on the width and height it could be), but on a longer handle, 28.5" to 24" (longer handle accounting for the extra 100grams)? Anyway, its quite a bit lighter and shorter than the X25.

I don't understand why STIHL made an MS230 and an MS250; an MS650 and an MS660; why Dolmar makes 6+ saws that are identical, aside from 'dumbed down' P&Cs. But they are all richer than I am.

Why aren't arctic handles available in every country? Why are some saws sold only with tool-less tensioners in some countries, but only with bar nuts in others? Why do women insist that the toilet seat always be down?

Are they all made in the same country - Fiskars is an international company?

I suppose that there are some costs for advertising, stocking, carrying additional models. Maybe they are concerned about introducing confusion? Is it a niche that competes with their (always more expensive) Gerber line? Why is the ocean always near the shore?

Philbert
I wonder sometimes why if you want a good husqvarna but don't like orange your only option is Jonsered. I bet a lot of people would like a pro husky in green poulan colors or yellow mcculloch. As far as I know the new mcullochs are only sold in other countries and not pro saws. I bet the only reason the new Homelite china junk company is still in business is because people remember there dad or grandfathers running a nice one and remember the name.

Don't you guys have access to Fiskar's series of "spalthammers" which are 3900 and 4600 gram mauls? UK had them as of two years ago as I almost had a buddy buy one and send it to me.

View attachment 594125

An ad popped up , 10$ , I got on the phone asap and struck a deal :)
Should have it sometime tomorrow .

@dancan that maul looks very like the stihl cleaving hammer, altough its not an unusual shape i guess. i find mine heavy (do i see an 8lb marking?) but good to smash big rounds that the fiskars bounces off.

I got it today :)
3kg so 6.sumthin pound head .
I forgot it at the shop so pics tomorrow :)
I'd say it's the Stihl 85cm 3000g cleaver .

Back