Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice deal Dan!

I can find the fiskars spalthammer to buy, although had to hunt. It's a fiskars.eu tool, not on the co.uk site. Sellers I found were from Europe. Seems like another fiskars company!

Just feel such a fool as I thought I knew how to split safe. Still, my wood guy has just promised to get me a new, taller chopping block. Every cloud has a silver lining. I'm going to be very wary of that x17 now though.

ok, something useful for you maybe. this is the bison hookaroon, rehandled now with a nie slender hickory stick which feels much lighter and improves the tool no end, i am amazed the diffence a handle makes, its so much more balanced with a lighter handle. x27 for scale
CAz47j_QED4cose4x7jn92UWhOacOb-wP994LNqHLigoCpVX-PVzkkeQELvJNncpfSgoBy89qkuZLghUWw_4HlAtXOs6MaXpWSQRV5z7gyHbmMh10eOugze_4rBB-8mx7E6NRH6R8mCDDpNBvt9BrbOcO7HHjpxgzU4sh1q8_yc_Qqlou6fz3E_s2H2hoY_jwCZnm8Udt_HWWP8KUYGmic3OInUpm6BUWyCdQXfUWs5exZi27Q-GudGT1pksvnA-Jx3R7c-GIQtcOx8DqyqoAzjfV6HaQtK9ntsNXLgrqKjgmtSwXf54IMUrTpudMJxkEFkjB82NDJ5_b8gRhiGFenGiUFYzU8qUkZDi--azPminkhihJH5SoQLuMX2bFunbBThOSB-YJKL9vPF7Y0EixZNkTGkuVKD5enxc1KU54_eX_wi31EsroYHbW4ysjflzMd4QohFCubjpEQESdAfE8uMudB1E7t62AxoXKO2Rk1RL-lE-vhdYtSXE1gt8o9swhAUKhdSQrRFJg0kY5heeXPiKYukf2DPIbaEaaWwgK3e6KmlXAimYNHV-e_2hTlOurw02X8vIQHRAej2f6a82gx0WOJmkOynjb2pdu4tSKTVRSbuwpLolPoEaQgJm9ka9iKEQJWTq1ewBF43ilhYw0_oUuiSRTUE6zpUaLN-w8K5Wuw=w1320-h990-no

it easily picks up rounds like that one and saves the bending to reach with 2 hands. Note the screw i drilled through the head.

8_4nNPGYUjBZnCnK69eGyl91__mAjz51qSAIwhbpRLgVlIZ2_oNsYDWsiRpmh9Kh2guAstSXEziK7dPYKmCIcUaZxWzfWH1PbF43IAtS51rkomYBDMJ26--TgzIr__Ydd34GKXgoXBj0mxvUF0SFhQYeT6QW9UK2uPEy9xN_W-FeYRRRn83pDwZcIViby05zy7S6HU9Vo8LjrMBwTrLaoc5_UTtb1VpEuDjkSBAwbN9juH3y7kf7k4lFqWs5UvacxGj5SfhKjYmk1YieUu9-7G2GbcTYSsiXVyZr3jsSy2udtzQPfX2Ke9KIEsy4xYTlUVIGcVyL7UHimrMIc3GRUzawIim0MuJlF2lkuiT1Ys5SuDS-eUUtU7HDEy3YKPT1375cXBflLViEN1yx_KEWBWJUg829BrcM6mlRGPqZz3g0F63uJjDz3T6krArmprWSopvGvJJw9GCW34jcuhFaeSrGut-bNvg5z6lyBwF10jiYQft_tBZ7gYQ1FzCTtHhxUZgEjed9N94c8ZCmafAhE9aFQ-OuGkjv9kXEzAso85ZFsHyqyv6RBBMLgPpw80aunCof0ZvprTjl8JolTnY7v_HcPQDXswQUY0HvEHOsUkCB3F3HUhEKEHco2zA-2OwPSkl402P462pJ97xfn6Lm2mPUACBsyXs9tgwOQl6ifIoW1A=w743-h990-no

the new handle has awful grain orientation but heyho. think i got a lovely tight fit, doesn't feel like it will come loose and i've been using it a good bit.

now the fiskars x'shinslicer'17

3_aS5rsLcB1nfuLBPCZlayXAXMmXOL7CJ9C0rkoOSEiASbvLpmfshBMzflWG7kBqHoxMt1ZKv2xIOSvT90pY5ZTT2uodF1UEltR2vyV41VVpGmd7QkBu-x-POkkjeNNTGkyghAz3vqVTuKWErf4FYkmQhCJMoh91QDyNUiLsoyU8MY-vv4VEt739FY0P0snydOIRzwoJiWTBVM6B6sKAej7-3wS2UtRL6_I7LAYhB8Ekzis7btKb89cB2qzxOKdY32pbCNoRwfKgzvk83zpy8ldzptkUivI0VQjLLp-R40IVEsgpU7Pj4ZHLgmzzCEwc--aJ5w1PTg04nSDB9-54dkUzyqz6wWw0oTYJTystDUAPJ_NBBr8SYY_fr5vbuSw1f45Xr2caFzsTLJ_AX1AFSTiGFZ6iSSMhp13i1O_qSSvua0BUuEUI1w8vioVeJKW1kCeFnHMXqBDK1PXhOO0HGeEKNuiLX5toqVtocGRn676RX6Ch1Zm3cxC2IH8UQySV4O-nuni9Ml56iGHuFi0weC8IF1kTKLrGivTgrSwUU2hE3bMPtsHfsxei6UYbOGcmcX_FBvBYARAR9WeRdpJpQ2UZnl-HnrFPtdyCKJKilY4Htb0jbhAZzIVyTLriIAMfO9H7sEgw4E0MvRxhNUv0F01LPVA9wpw_El1EKPNo_ouYxQ=w1320-h990-no

smaller head, shorter handle than the 27

This was to be the 'before' and i planned and 'after' showing a neat split, or an embedded axe. It didn't go to plan and I'll spare any gory after...for now.

m_HYpu9hvoVBhauginrdsUCIPkuItD7jpOA8ciUAa6EddgRqGUQFFdeiGgRGqQsm1awiNzbObo0oK8tRoxc2xR5EDdPdWFeqbQ4ekTNT1arumhK4ElKnUqzmoXnX62EcVz0sBffMuKPmjjSac4XKnKezvyCQuL3iOqDHaQGS39VQSbQnFuOLvRRG0ZlSW_IKZACiuBTzb8VkAkxuQFZ59qFV3oSmuzY033P5GfNZTmfD91Lb6okFPxcXGNb3uW4hl1VEFnBPysdX1w-1QaRm0KSl2gQaifaDhmPAPXLVcx0Y4wnYxwX2fT_CXU5XA88snXYbsbMXgvCE4GynAhxUbkIhFspSoKF912jyaM99oRP3S8h5HnIQngtVbjallp33nVQVNjWYOxWobtuXdaoZym2SoWbe8PUK1A3dRxcAcCoLUyJhCeQVuN1wh8uerEuG8iWIkCwbM24lR1scaOK0ULbx9PbZiK5S3PwKausgkM0OfoE6q39g3sMuH84cbZ8ATnodhDLryMF1ZFpkTyihAZmZfyVQeE-gsifuKVYc9jN3DDUEtSNROoiwi12RuLOUuZ8HoH__FMvJJkSjqqJQ37Mn6fk4O45m0pD0SEjZBd1zNMt1rvv_bTruk-aHBVhVLwofgjEK3uKmd8yJwt0vm6gEA_-HWBBQdU2nqNPi2JSBZw=w743-h990-no

how the f*** did i miss the block as well!

They say when you fall off a horse you should get back on quickly don't they, so, I set to it again with the shinsplitter. To give me some confidence I donned some more PPE, my mountain biking knee and shin pads! I also went with a low block and crouched down, so misses would hit the ground. I went to some green holly at about 1' diameter, halved or quartered it first with the x27 then used the shinsplitter to get to my small stove size. Also tried a bit of sycamore and some lawson cypress. All fairly easy splitting stuff although the holly is quite knotty/full of dead branches. the shinsplitter is razor sharp. it wasn't out the box but took just 2 mins with the file to get it hair shavingly sharp. it sliced, it cut through wood well, and it split well. Its as good a tool as you'd expect, or better. is it less effort than the x27? yes. Is it any less tiring? well, if i was confident, standing not crouching and familiar with the tool, probably, until then its still a work out, just a different work out.

Oh and as for the shin pads, a very old pair of Kona launch pads, very comfy for both wood splitting and riding, have saved me from countless cuts, bumps and gravel rash, and i suspect would have saved me last Friday. For now they will be part of my splitting PPE. They are also no bad for diy jobs where you are kneeling lots, such as flooring jobs. My pads are getting old now, th elastic straps are getting stretched, but although i don't do much biking at all these days, I'd get some new pads for diy and wood splitting uses.

I wonder sometimes why if you want a good husqvarna but don't like orange your only option is Jonsered. I bet a lot of people would like a pro husky in green poulan colors or yellow mcculloch. As far as I know the new mcullochs are only sold in other countries and not pro saws. I bet the only reason the new Homelite china junk company is still in business is because people remember there dad or grandfathers running a nice one and remember the name.
I don't check this thread much, not much interested in new chopping tools, but the Homelite story is a sad one to me, I guess the Mac's are the same way. I have at least 20 of them in the shed, the number goes up and down. I still have two of my Dad's Super 1050's, a pile of XL 12's, an XL 923,924,and 925. Would like an XL 955. I wonder if all the Red stuff made for Harry Homeowner today could do the work of the ones in my shed alone, Joe.

Neil, I'll have to go back and find the details on the shin splitter. I think I posted this a couple weeks ago, somewhere? I was splitting Oak on the hill behind my house. It's too steep to use my splitter, so I was using the Fiskars. Split a block, toss the pieces on the trailer, split, repeat. I set the Fiskars down on the slope above me, arms length away. Was tossing splits and felt something nudge my ankle. Looked down and the Fiskars slid down the hill and was stuck in my ankle. I was wearing my typical summer splitting clothes, t-shirt, shorts, crocks, with short running socks. The axe slid down the hill and just barley missed the top of the sock and came to rest in my ankle. No real harm done, but it impressed on me just how sharp that axe is. It made a little cut that looked like a razor did it. It didn't hurt so I wrapped some gauze around it and went back to work. Bled just enough to make the gauze look soaked. My neighbor gave me a Red's Apple Ale to dull the pain, actually, he always gives me a Red's. His wife went white as a ghost when he pointed at my ankle, I have been wearing higher socks lately, Joe.

Is that a 955? Glad to see you're flying it just under the American flag. Or, are you hanging it? Oh, I think I see what happened. Someone dropped it and your trying to pull the 30" bar out of the ground, Joe.:surprised3:

Ouch! Yeah they take a good edge.

Your definitely not the first or the last. Hit my foot with a 4.5 pound splitting maul last year. Kept working for another 3.5 hours till I couldn't walk anymore and thought I was going to have to cut my boot off due to swelling ( not steel toe). No breaks though and a couple days on crutches and I was back to new. Handle was too short and I was splitting too thin of a piece for that maul. Went and bought the fiskars super splitting axe (all black x27) and have only used it since. Still crouching down just to not have any chances of hitting my foot anymore lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back