Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I got more seat time with the Council maul.

I cut up some Sugar Maple that the neighbor brought home from a job.

I started doing a side by side comparison with the Fiskars with comparative length pieces.

First one.
2A5BA697-F5ED-40DA-B580-B6B28E3BC62D_zps9rqtomkl.jpg

3 whacks with the Council and 2 with Fiskars.
1B5F8190-6B8F-43FD-A953-410C21EC095D_zpsqd97hiiq.jpg

All right time to step the length.
BB6C35EC-550D-406E-9852-776F6666A3BC_zpsf4r1g3l8.jpg

Fiskars blew it apart in 1 hit, the maul took 2.
92E1A18F-B13E-4B62-A357-F987CC2F858C_zpspekhdgin.jpg

At this juncture I feel the Council is ready to be put through a normal Fiskars workload.

The next piece I went after and the second hit. Bang.
1ED3E861-7541-4793-BB5B-6E1DAB40B3AF_zpsmznirifx.jpg

I lol'd. What I think happened was the first strike was closest to me and about 2 inches from the edge. It created a jagged edge on the end that went to the right about an inch.

The next strike was to the other side and going through. As it went through the handle hit that edge and broke.

It wasn't a full blown overstrike. I knew I was going to break it sooner or later but sheesh. I would of been ticked if I was out scrounging in the woods with just this.

So the Council went in the trailer and the Fiskars went back to doing what it does best. Not caring.
7C21D2F5-5D0E-4D25-ABE7-287E377E5CA0_zpspobypxa8.jpg

So my impressions of the CT 6 lb maul so far.

It took more effort to get less results than the Fiskars.

Pieces don't blow apart with it. They just split.

I really hope Husqvarna makes a longer version of that splitting axe. I'd be getting one.

Nice review benp .
I split a small load of red maple tonight , was using the Garant TCSMS60036 6lbs maul till I got it stuck in a crotch , while it does split better than my 6lbs China steel maul I still have a hard time warming up to it due to the flex that the handle has .
Since I wanted to get finished and go have supper I dug out the GB and finished the pile .

IMG_20141213_174710.jpg

The one guy on here who has the Husky axe said it worked better than his Fiskars despite the shorter handle. Definitely piqued my interest.

Better? Oh boy...I might be in.

I'm just skittish about a shorter handle thats all.

ETA - I just watched Mdavlee's video of it.

I don't know. That is just too short for my tastes. That thing does split great though.

Like I said, if it was 36" or so long, I would have one ordered.

That would be me. I haven't used the fiskars maybe 6 swings since I got the S2800. I use a 28" handled 5 lb Council for driving wedges when falling and bucking so the length doesn't bother me.

I started doing a side by side comparison with the Fiskars with comparative length pieces.

First one.

At this juncture I feel the Council is ready to be put through a normal Fiskars workload.

I lol'd. What I think happened was the first strike was closest to me and about 2 inches from the edge. It created a jagged edge on the end that went to the right about an inch.

The next strike was to the other side and going through. As it went through the handle hit that edge and broke.

It wasn't a full blown overstrike. I knew I was going to break it sooner or later but sheesh. I would of been ticked if I was out scrounging in the woods with just this.

So the Council went in the trailer and the Fiskars went back to doing what it does best. Not caring.

I really hope Husqvarna makes a longer version of that splitting axe. I'd be getting one.

Well, that sucks. I was hoping they had better quality control, as the price is right and obviously would like to support made in merika and stuff. Any sort of warranty on those?

I have never had a tool handle do that to me, proly because I can't swing that hard I guess! HAHAHA!

Nice pile of Swamp Maple!!!:yes:

Is that the Garant in the background Dan?

Yup , I beat on it with the sledge so it's really stuck , even a wood grenade wedge stuck in there as well LOL
I'd say the Garant is polly not that bad , it's better than my made in china wedge on a stick , it's the flex in the handle that's a little different , I'm just not as accurate with the longer handled mauls , I guess I'll just have to practice more LOL

That would be me. I haven't used the fiskars maybe 6 swings since I got the S2800. I use a 28" handled 5 lb Council for driving wedges when falling and bucking so the length doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the video. I liked it!

Well, that sucks. I was hoping they had better quality control, as the price is right and obviously would like to support made in merika and stuff. Any sort of warranty on those?

I have never had a tool handle do that to me, proly because I can't swing that hard I guess! HAHAHA!

I don't think I swing that hard Zog. I highly doubt there's a warranty on that. I'm not worried.

After watching the video in the "How to Replace a Handle" thread, the only thing right about the CT handle was that you could hold it.

Yup , I beat on it with the sledge so it's really stuck , even a wood grenade wedge stuck in there as well LOL
I'd say the Garant is polly not that bad , it's better than my made in china wedge on a stick , it's the flex in the handle that's a little different , I'm just not as accurate with the longer handled mauls , I guess I'll just have to practice more LOL

I'm real skittish about using a short handled axe or maul based on the fact of blow through/splitting the head arcs back around at me.

My neighbors boy has a Fiskars camp axe and the time I tried it, that rascal came back and tried to get me.

I like the pointy sharp end as far away as possible from me.

I know what you mean about the arc and a short handle but I've not had that happen in the 2 years of swinging the "shorties" .
I hit the round pretty much at 90* and it's with a fast and straight down motion with very little arc and I stand with feet apart so if it was to happen it should be a miss .

I know what you mean about the arc and a short handle but I've not had that happen in the 2 years of swinging the "shorties" .
I hit the round pretty much at 90* and it's with a fast and straight down motion with very little arc and I stand with feet apart so if it was to happen it should be a miss .

I discussed todays events with my neighbor tonite over a highball.

He's kinda stoked that he has some new hammer handles from the unbroke part of CT maul handle.

I mentioned the Husky splitting axe and the size.

The first words out of his mouth were, "We will be taking you to the ER with a partial amputation."

LOL.

I reallllllly hope they come out with a 36".

Sorry to hear it bit the dust so soon. Not a lot of cash outlay but you'd still think it would have lasted longer than that.

With all of the fanfare surrounding this tool when it first rolled into the AS scene, it's interesting to hear "the rest of the story" from an unbiased third party.

We should start a letter writing campaign to Husky to create a 36" splitting axe....

First one.

Damn you broke it already?! lol. I still haven't bought another splitting tool, only have the X27. Splits everything so far except for a few pieces. I smack rounds 4-5 times and if it doesn't seem like it will crack I noodle them. I should probably noodle more often as I've fallen in love with those long strands of wood fibers.

If they made a longer handle on that husky splitting axe id love one. I think id also like a x25 or the s2800(?) For making kindling.

If they made a longer handle on that husky splitting axe id love one. I think id also like a x25 or the s2800(?) For making kindling.
Just purchased an X11 kindling maker, plastic wedge hammerer, stray limb slasher but I can't review it until after Santa gives it to me on Christmas!

First one.
2A5BA697-F5ED-40DA-B580-B6B28E3BC62D_zps9rqtomkl.jpg

I hope you're not splitting those pieces on the ground, for two reasons.
1. the earth absorbs much of the energy that you've invested in accelerating the maul (a splitting-block mo-betta) ,
2. a maul is an edge tool, and rocks & such play hell with that.

Did you remove much of the bulges on either face about 1" behind the edge? If so, prolly not a great idea. They seem to be instrumental in pushing the splits apart, in their OEM finish.

I hope you're not splitting those pieces on the ground, for two reasons.
1. the earth absorbs much of the energy that you've invested in accelerating the maul (a splitting-block mo-betta) ,
2. a maul is an edge tool, and rocks & such play hell with that.

Did you remove much of the bulges on either face about 1" behind the edge? If so, prolly not a great idea. They seem to be instrumental in pushing the splits apart, in their OEM finish.
You're kidding, right? Are you suggesting @benp doesn't know how to operate a maul?

1)Two tools, head to head with the same wood on the same ground. Are you suggesting the maul will miraculously outperform the Fiskars if a chopping block is brought into the picture?

2) Lots of people split directly on the ground. If they hit something, they sharpen the tool. Common sense. Last I checked a Fiskars is an "edge tool" also.

Sorry that the real world results didn't match that of your infomercial. Although that's not the first time we've seen that happen on this site.

I frequently split smaller limb rounds that just need divided with a "golf club swing". The rounds laying horizontaly on the ground with nothing but inertia resisting the swing, most of the time they don't slide at all before they split.
When I split with the rounds standing the tool never hits the ground, even when I don't use the splitting ring. A splitting block just increases the chance of getting a leg hit with the ax or maul.

I like a splitting block for the reasons mentioned. I also split smaller (12 to 16 inch long) wood, so I like it elevated on a block. Block keeps me from hitting my leg with shorter length maul (X25 type) - hits the block instead, unless you really miss! JMHO

Keeping my eyes open for the right sized (golf cart? ATV? wheelbarrow?) tire for my sized wood!

Philbert

I like a splitting block for the reasons mentioned. I also split smaller (12 to 16 inch long) wood, so I like it elevated on a block. Block keeps me from hitting my leg with shorter length maul (X25 type) - hits the block instead, unless you really miss! JMHO

Keeping my eyes open for the right sized (golf cart? ATV? wheelbarrow?) tire for my sized wood!

Philbert
Why don't you use a bigger tire and just fill it with more rounds?

I had a handle break in a similar way when I was installing it. The handle fractured about an inch, but maybe that handle shape could is prone to fracturing like that.

I split on the ground all the time with a maul. Rounds too big to lift and splitting a tree in the woods before hauling are two times I spit on the ground, rocks and all. Of course, for the best splitting experience, I would want a block to chop on.

Back