Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The birch bark is one of the most amazing wood materials there is. Leaving the bark all around a log, will contain all the water and moist in the log, and it will slowly start rotting from inside. By shaving like this, there is no need to split the smaller diameter rounds. The will season through these shaved areas...
I would believe this applies on most tree spieces...

I always break the bark on any birch I cut , even down to Zogger sized wood , mostly by scoring a line with a chainsaw along the length if I'm not gonna split it , finding that video was just another reason for me to continue the practice :)
Birch bark , awesome firestarter material , burns like gasoline .
I still find that making kindling with a db is the fastest and most efficient for me .
Welcome back AKKAMAAN , I'd like to see a thread on that stove of yours with some pics :)

I always break the bark on any birch I cut , even down to Zogger sized wood , mostly by scoring a line with a chainsaw along the length if I'm not gonna split it , finding that video was just another reason for me to continue the practice :)
Birch bark , awesome firestarter material , burns like gasoline .
I still find that making kindling with a db is the fastest and most efficient for me .
Welcome back AKKAMAAN , I'd like to see a thread on that stove of yours with some pics :)
I'd like to know more about the stove, too. Very unique!

I'd like to know more about the stove, too. Very unique!
I remodelled my livingroom 5 years ago, and ripped out the old recessed brick frame with a free standing iron wood stove.
Took the wall down and expanded a dining area into part of the double garage about 120 sqft.
I wanted a double sided free standing wood stove at the same position as the old stove was. But the double sided ones were so high BTU, so they required 8" chimney. I already had a 6" chimney tube through the roof, and I didn't want to mess with changing that. The only option was to buy a cylindric stove the could swivel while burning. That way I could get "atmosphere" fire both in the living room and the dining area depending on where we are at the moment. Up to 16" logs have to stand upright vertically, and smaller 10"-12" logs can be feed horizontally.
My stove is not exactly the same as on the link I posted. I have sides of soapstone, and a thick top of soap stone.
lima_black.jpg

Yep!:yes:

When I was kicking around the idea of a stove for my gardener's hovel I was looking at the cylinder/vertical stoves.

They all seemed to have a small footprint and be hyper efficient which is what I was looking for.

Looks like the size of one of those stubby vertical propane tanks, like 100 lbers?? Something like that size. Could be a start on making one for relatively cheap.

My local Walmart finally put out their rather paltry spread of axes. The one original style orange and black Fiskars was pretty dirty and looked like it had been sitting in old stock for some time. I did like the feel of the newer long handled chopping axe.

This was the first time I had handled one of the all black axes. Identical in every way except for the lack of a rubberized grip and a cheaper cover. All of the Fiskars had a very sharp factor edge.

image.jpg

I need a new maul, I have broke 2 cheap ones in 3 weeks. They have warrantied them, but I just returned the last one.

I have been looking at the Stihl Pro series mauls and splitting axe. I think I am going to go with maul because occasionally I use splitting wedges. I can get either for $80.00 because of a Stihl coupon. Any comments on either.

And before it is mentioned, yes I own a Fiskars X27. But I cannot drive wedges with it and sometimes it is just too light for some of the logs.

Well I end up with the Pro Splitting Maul. So far I really like it. I split for 30 minutes or so with it along with my Fiskars and can see how they both will play a role. It feels really good in the hands and you can tell it is a quality tool.

Having the $20 manufacture coupon definitely helped me make the decision to drop the coin on a nice maul.

Latest posts

Back