Splitting Tool Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If we were to put together a splitting tool "shootout", what brands would you like to see represented?

Here are the major brands I can think of off hand:

Fiskars
Gransfors
Husqvarna/Wetterlings/Hultafors
Husqvarna composite
Ochsenkopf
Wilton

Who else am I missing?

This!!

I've been sitting here trying to remember that for about an hour. lol

I've got a picture of mine hanging on the wall in MY TV room but I can't find it right now. Boy did I get he!! from the wife for doing that.

If we were to put together a splitting tool "shootout", what brands would you like to see represented?

Here are the major brands I can think of off hand:

Fiskars
Gransfors
Husqvarna/Wetterlings/Hultafors
Husqvarna composite
Ochsenkopf
Wilton

Who else am I missing?

All the normal cheap tractor supply/home depot and etc splitting mauls, the thirty buck specials. I would bet most would do OK compared to the expensive ones once they have a real edge on them.

All the normal cheap tractor supply/home depot and etc splitting mauls, the thirty buck specials. I would bet most would do OK compared to the expensive ones once they have a real edge on them.
Thought about that but was thinking I'd like to keep this as a brand name shootout. There are so many off brand bludgeons out there that will work satisfactory once given a real edge.

All chain saws cut and all mauls split.....its comes down to how much do you want to spend?
My thoughts are if I can find a couple other members who want to do a gtg and can bring a couple tools on the list I wouldn't mind purchasing the remainders in the name of research and sell the ones I don't like on eBay after the testing is completed.

My only request is to compare those composite handle Husqvarna splitting axes to the equivalent sized Fiskars (by handle length). No fair taking the shorter Husqvarna and comparing it to others that have a longer handle.

I would like a high quality splitting axe or maul with more weight than the Fiskars for the larger rounds. I've always thought the wooden handled Husqvarna was a good vale maul compared to the real expensive mauls with similar shape.

How about a one of those council mauls? Seems like I remember reading a thread about them.

My only request is to compare those composite handle Husqvarna splitting axes to the equivalent sized Fiskars (by handle length). No fair taking the shorter Husqvarna and comparing it to others that have a longer handle.
Supposedly the 28" Husky will outsplit the 36" Fiskars. Mine is being delivered today.

How about a one of those council mauls? Seems like I remember reading a thread about them.

Despite receiving lot of praise from one member (who was more in love with the price than the tool), everyone else who purchased one was unimpressed. Benp's Council maul broke on day one and everyone reported it was prone to sticking in partially split wood. Therefore I see no need to include it in this comparison.

Latest posts

Back