Splitting wood by hand.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesseb24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been offered 50$ per cord that I can split. I'm in great shape and love to split wood. I've never timed myself and I only spilt wood for fun and as a workout. I was wondering if it's feasible for me to actually make a profit doing this without wasting my time. It's oak/cherry and I'd be using a chainsaw and maul.

You need to be more specific. If someone is going to drop the wood at your place in order that you to split it and then they'll pick it up to deliver then I'd say its worth $50 and a free workout. If you're selling for $50 bucks a cord and doing all of the handling I'll send you my address.

I've been offered 50$ per cord that I can split. I'm in great shape and love to split wood. I've never timed myself and I only spilt wood for fun and as a workout. I was wondering if it's feasible for me to actually make a profit doing this without wasting my time. It's oak/cherry and I'd be using a chainsaw and maul.
...agree. Need to be much more specific with the $50/cord arrangement you may have. A good workout is one thing...getting worked over is whole other deal entirely. And welcome aboard to AS.

Sorry didn't mean to be so broad. The person has the logs dropped at their location around twenty minutes from me. I'll have to buck them and spilt them.

Personally I'd want a little more, but if you are gonna do it, do a little research and get yourself a nice splitting axe, it will make a big difference, good luck.

Sorry didn't mean to be so broad. The person has the logs dropped at their location around twenty minutes from me. I'll have to buck them and spilt them.
...like said in a previous text, I believe I'd want a little more money for the labor/time involved. Vehicle fuel expense alone comes off the top of the $50, especially if you gotta gas up a V8 verses a 4 cyl. It's up to ya, but I think I'd up the ante to about $75. A cord is a fair amount of splittin and time involved doing by hand.

Id want a lot more. Unless it was real cold out, and all the rounds had perfectly straight grain.

Well, 50 a cord is money, but if it was your logs and you were doing the same work and selling cords, it would be around double that in your pocket for the same work.

If it is only a few cords though, whut the heck, straight grained clean wood, shouldn't take too long.

So you're talking cutting to length, and splitting - by hand?

IMO $50/cord would cover just the cutting to length part, maybe. Then maybe another $50 might cover the splitting - but there's also a chance it wouldn't if the wood didn't split really easy.

Look at it this way - how much is log length wood there? Maybe $100/cord delivered? How much is cut & split wood? Maybe $250 delivered? So the cutting & splitting is then worth $150/cord - substitute local pricing for your area.

You would then have to adjust that figure to what you might get out of it - I have no idea the value of gym time.

Add a Fiskars and a hookeroon to the tools.

Add a Fiskars and a hookeroon to the tools.
...Fiskars X27 I presume your reference is. Absolutely agree. I've got a Logrite 30" hookeroon...found out just how invaluable one was after I bought it. Big-time back saver. Will definitely buy another this summer.

I plan on getting hookeroon. The individual hasn't responded to my rebutle on price.
...its up to ya buddy what price you put on your labor. Bear in mind, lotta folks won't something for nothing as well. $75 minimum is what I say. If not, tell him to get to swingin. Just my .02 cents.

Some wood split effortlessly (a lazy swing), and some requires super human strength (10+ all out swings with a 10lbs sledge hammer and wedge).

I use to do it for free as a kid, and built up some nice upper strength. NOW, only for me, so I can keep warm in the winter.

...Fiskars X27 I presume your reference is. Absolutely agree. I've got a Logrite 30" hookeroon...found out just how invaluable one was after I bought it. Big-time back saver. Will definitely buy another this summer.

They don't seem to be making the x27 anymore, it is now the "splitting ax". Appears to be the same thing and I used one recently - works just like the x27.

AS for hookeroon. I didn't buy one for many years as I considered the price to e excessive for what was basically "a nail on a stick". First time I tried mine it was worth every penny of that price. I also homebuilt an 8' one. Haven't crawled into the bed of the truck to unload since.

Harry K

They don't seem to be making the x27 anymore, it is now the "splitting ax". Appears to be the same thing and I used one recently - works just like the x27.

AS for hookeroon. I didn't buy one for many years as I considered the price to e excessive for what was basically "a nail on a stick". First time I tried mine it was worth every penny of that price. I also homebuilt an 8' one. Haven't crawled into the bed of the truck to unload since.

Harry K

Great idea Turnkey on the 8' version...think I'll have to steal your idea, Lol. What was your pole material? I'm thinkin maybe a piece of rigid wall 1" or so conduit. Drill an appropriate diameter hole through the end, run a stainless bolt through with washers both sides, a nylon nut, then maybe grind the exposed threads off to a point and give the tip end a little downwards hook bend. Could even add a busing to the inside diameter of the pole to keep the nylon nut and bolt from collapsing the walls.

Harry K
Look on Amazon, local sales for Fiskars are hit an miss for me. Amazon still advertises the X-27...

Back