Splitting wood by hand.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea Turnkey on the 8' version...think I'll have to steal your idea, Lol. What was your pole material? I'm thinkin maybe a piece of rigid wall 1" or so conduit. Drill an appropriate diameter hole through the end, run a stainless bolt through with washers both sides, a nylon nut, then maybe grind the exposed threads off to a point and give the tip end a little downwards hook bend. Could even add a busing to the inside diameter of the pole to keep the nylon nut and bolt from collapsing the walls.

8' closet pole and a compression fitting from the plumbing dept. Fitting crossdrilled for a 1/2" piece of allthread.

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

That combination gives just enough weight at the end of the pole to do the job and the handle is light, easy to maneuver and has a nice feel. I first thought of using aluminum conduit but didn't like the feel of a 8' length.

That little backward bend in the tip of the hook is important. You don't have to "slam" it to hook a round, just reach out and pull.

Looking at your design makes me wonder why not just drill the hole at a bit of an angle and not need to bend the tip?

That's awesome Harry, Ive read about your 8' hookeroon before but the pictures make all the sense in the world now!!! Thanks I will copy that

Ive rented from Homey De pot before, If you rent in the last 3hrs 45 min of the day about 615PM and have the unit back by 9 am the following day the only charge you a 4hr rental!! food for thought.

Can you rent/ use a splitter early sat morning split all day finish on Sunday if need be. Usually free rental on Sunday. $80 is an OK price. IMO....

I can borrow a splitter any time I want, but they are just so damn slow. I now stay away from certain types of wood (Ponderosa Pines are a PITA), and don't try and split green wood, with those a couple of other rules, hand splitting is the way to go. Also don't feel that you have to do it all in a single day, or in one session. An hour every few very early mornings and it gets done.

Back