Square file, grandberg style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
Anyone got pictures of them using a grandberg file and joint style sharpener to do square. I can't justify buying the atop. I've always done round filing and want to try square.
I've seen some picture but I was looking for some instructions or discussions on technique or angle and so on....

Anyone got pictures of them using a grandberg file and joint style sharpener to do square. I can't justify buying the atop. I've always done round filing and want to try square.
I've seen some picture but I was looking for some instructions or discussions on technique or angle and so on....

No pictures, but I had a Granberg that was made specifically for chisel filing. That was over 30 yrs. ago. It seemed slow and just sloppy enough that I figured I could do better by hand, so I gave it away. One like that would work for learning, though.

Seems like I've read that a regular Granberg can be converted for chisel files, but I'm not sure.

I'm way too cheap to buy a grinder and too cheap to buy an Atop.

I have an Oregon professional filing guide that had a small note in the instructions about being able to use a flat file. I did not pay much attention at the time and have not found any more info but would like to try it I know it can hold a flat file but from a few pics of others homemade set up I am not sure if the angels are right? I would be interested in finding out. I need to get a file and just try it maybe?

I have an Oregon professional filing guide that had a small note in the instructions about being able to use a flat file. I did not pay much attention at the time and have not found any more info but would like to try it I know it can hold a flat file but from a few pics of others homemade set up I am not sure if the angels are right? I would be interested in finding out. I need to get a file and just try it maybe?
It may well be that the flat file function is for filing depth gauges (rakers). A double-bevel chisel file is a different critter, anyway.

I came across this link a while back I have not tried it yet but I use the Grandberg and a square file separately. The author has a very in depth article about modifications hes made to the file jig and uses it to sharpen square filed chains.

Treefelling.com

Heck this article might be from a member here!

Back