Square filing. Who has tried, and given up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wan't to learn Andy, but the price of files has held me back, I know call me cheap, cause well, I'am. I'm going to be placing a order with Baileys soon, so what files do you recommend.

Thanks

Will

I found square filing difficult and gave up. A well filed round chain is much better than a poorly filed square chain, but I'd like to try a goofy file, as it eliminates one angle less than square.
John

I found square filing difficult and gave up. A well filed round chain is much better than a poorly filed square chain, but I'd like to try a goofy file, as it eliminates one angle less than square.
John

Not only are you the King of The Forest. . . You are King of The Round File. :D

I tried square chain a couple of years ago. I liked the faster speed. But I gave up because it was taking a long time to file. At the time,for me, the extra time needed to file it added up to way more time than the faster cutting speed gave.
I do plan on giving another try. I had the flat square file set up in the oregon equivalent to the grandenberg guide. I set that up at the tip of the bar nose and set the angles for the teeth. I used a magic marker to mark the position of the guide. It actually worked pretty good, just took a long time. I am a year ahead for firewood now which leaves more play time for square chain.

It's a learning curve, a little longer curve than learning to round file but well worth the effort. After a lot of hours filing you will get to where you can touch up a square chisel about as fast as a round.

Andy

I persisted for about 6 months some 3 years ago using square ground in Aussie hard wood but while it cuts like a demon for about 8 - 10 sqft it goes blunt too quickly in our wood - they only time I use it now is when I run across something soft.

I don't know anything about the wood down under, but I have cut quite a bit of dead Mesquite out of cat piles and it did ok. If your wood is much harder than that you aren't cutting wood, more like stones with a canopy. :cheers:

Andy

I wan't to learn Andy, but the price of files has held me back, I know call me cheap, cause well, I'am. I'm going to be placing a order with Baileys soon, so what files do you recommend.

Thanks

Will

I'm using the old Pferd double bevel's, I've heard good things about the Save edge files but have never tried them. For someone just starting out I recomend an 8" goofy file.

Andy

John

John,
I think you're right. I learned with a goofy file, and when you get everything down right with it then it's fairly easy to go to a double bevel. The goofy is much more forgiving and gives you a chance to get it right with about half the cussing. I think you aught to give it another shot with a goofy.

Andy

I posted these a while back in another thread, but maybe they'll help someone here to get the motion down.
This is how I touch up a work chain on the saw.

Andy

I don't know anything about the wood down under, but I have cut quite a bit of dead Mesquite out of cat piles and it did ok. If your wood is much harder than that you aren't cutting wood, more like stones with a canopy. :cheers:

Andy

It's not only hardness but also abrasiveness. Square Chisel doesn't stand a chance, nor does round chisel for that matter. You spend more time sharpening than cutting, even with semi chisel some days :(

hand filing square is not all that difficult once you figure out angles.
especially if you've got a chain vise that allows all different positions.

problem for me is hand filing process took too much time. so yes I've given up hand filing square. but have not given up using square chain.

problem is finding an affordable square grinder ... aside from a few lucky finds. square grinders start at just under $1,000

bulk chains is the best way to go ... usually carry 20+ chains with me ... dull chains gets swapped out instead of hand filing

I was getting semi decent at it but, have not cut since March. Soon as the leaves fall I'll get back at it. I didn't notice too much difference in time to touch up as opposed to round file unless the gullets needed attention. My biggest problem is I can't see for #### without cheaters on. "Now where in the hell did I lay them down." I'm sure I'll be a little rusty getting back to it.

Red, your tips are much appreciated, I sure know they have helped me a lot.

Is Oregon the only company that makes square chisel. I tried square filing. I Need Some hands on instruction. I can round file. Andy I am going to try again Thanks for the video. Is there any one in the the Kansas ,Missouri, Central US that has mastered the square file.

I posted these a while back in another thread, but maybe they'll help someone here to get the motion down.
This is how I touch up a work chain on the saw.

Looks good RP. Because of the high vertical angle involved, getting above the chain like you demonstrate does make it easier. I do mine with a bar clamped in my wood working vice while I am sitting on a high stool since this puts me above the chain.

Also more reproducible angles will be generated if each cutter is moved to the same (comfortable) position on the bar rather than the person sharpening moving their arm or body to each position up and down the bar.

I got a few dull squares that need attention, LOL. I got the files too and have been pondering how to use one with my FG-2. If only the ends were round like a standard round file.:dizzy:

I didn't see the hype with square when compared to the ease of round. That was with a few loops of Oregon and some RSLK. Looking at my race chains gives me more of headache if that matters.:dizzy::D

Anybody use that square filing jig from Bailey's?:cheers:
I have never tried square chiz but I am :monkey:

John,
I think you're right. I learned with a goofy file, and when you get everything down right with it then it's fairly easy to go to a double bevel. The goofy is much more forgiving and gives you a chance to get it right with about half the cussing. I think you aught to give it another shot with a goofy.

Andy

Andy, I could do one side not so bad but the other side I kept searching for the right angles and further botched up the cutters.
I found it hard to keep the corner in the corner, than gave up ground them square instead, so I got spoiled. I've since sold the sq. grinder, but would like to try the goofy.
It's my opinion that most can round file 5x faster than sq. Also with round filing you can progressively keep the gullets clean with the round file unlike a sq.file.
I can round file a 16" wood dull chain in under 2 minutes which gets me back to cutting much sooner than if I was trying to sq. file.
It would be interesting to compare the times of a perfectly filed round chain to perfectly filed sq. My guess would be that the sq. would be 10% faster.

John

It would be interesting to compare the times of a perfectly filed round chain to perfectly filed sq. My guess would be that the sq. would be 10% faster.

John

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TN_rzTVkpss&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TN_rzTVkpss&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TN_rzTVkpss&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TN_rzTVkpss&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I like it but spendy. Thanks for the video!

No hand sq filing here, too lazy and too awkward to find a position for these old eyes to see well enough.

I cheat and use my ProSharp which is really quick and easy (3/8). Every now and then I use my 510 (which is setup with a 1/8 inch wheel these days as I am running alot of smaller chain) to clean out the gullets -- works fast and easy.

Latest posts

Back