Squirrel burrowing in Maple - How to stop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratmanron

Reaction score
I have a few larger silver maples near some walnut tress near a field. A squirrel (or squirrelS) have burrowed up into a maple large branch about 10 feet from the ground. My concern is that this will deaden the section of the tree, and it will fall.

Is there a way to stop the burrowing? Smoke them out and seal it up? If so, what could I use to seal the burrow?

Thanks!
Ron

Well, I was actually brought up hunting and eating many things, squirrels included. My wife is NOT a fan of squirrel meat. ;)

The tree didn't have a cavity before last winter - Started noticing LOTS of tree shavings and found the cavity. I trust that what Jed1124 is saying is true, but it's hard for me to believe their burrowing isn't harming the tree. The cavity is about half the diameter of the tree itself.

Ah well. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Had one of the little bastards decide he wanted in the gas cap of a Toro walk behind. Chewed a hole right through the cap. Replaced the cap, and the sum birch did it again within 24 hours. Just glad he didn't wreck the tank. Bought a .410 and thinned the herd.

Had one of the little bastards decide he wanted in the gas cap of a Toro walk behind. Chewed a hole right through the cap. Replaced the cap, and the sum birch did it again within 24 hours. Just glad he didn't wreck the tank. Bought a .410 and thinned the herd.

Oh man, they do that to my fuel caps also. Huffing gas, is my reasoning.

The tree didn't have a cavity before last winter - Started noticing LOTS of tree shavings and found the cavity. I trust that what Jed1124 is saying is true, but it's hard for me to believe their burrowing isn't harming the tree. The cavity is about half the diameter of the tree itself.

Ah well. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks!
It didn't have a cavity you noticed before last winter...large cavities don't develop that quickly.

They may be cleaning out some of the decaying wood...but they are not wood boring mammals. I am pretty sure you know that if you think it through. They will chew on wood to keep their teeth ground down...but not excavate large cavities. Burrowing is more of an indicator of decay, not a cause of decay.

Back