SRT RADS and Tree Frog demo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Frog is very good as is. Putting a descender into it would make it way too complex, if it could be done. Don't think it's possible or desirable.
-moss

Yeah, I figured as much ... just exploring every branch on this tree (pun intended) ... Thanks!

BTW ... I've read Tom Dunlap (et al) removed a side plate on the RAD pulley to ease the change-over ... ever hear of anyone using the Rock Exotica Omni-Block with the push button side plate? I know it's a little pricey but it seems like a good idea if there's already one in your kit.

Last edited:
Hey Moss I know this is a little off topic, but I notice you really like to climb those White Pines in your area... I'm up in Ontario and they're the tallest trees we have around here as well, I've done a fair bit of rec climbing myself playing around on weekends, but never using SRT like you do. With a bit more gear I'd like to give it a shot.

But what I was initially getting at was some trees we have up here in Algonquin park. A few buddies of mine made the trek in to the interior last summer, its a good 3 day round trip minimum. Its a place just off the North arm of a lake called Opeongo, the route from there goes Proulx lake --> crow river --> little crow --> big crow. On big crow lake there are a couple neat features, the first is an old firetower about 80ft tall on the top of a big hill overlooking the lake, still a ladder on it so its a fun place to do some rappelling with figure 8s and just playin around in the air with a beautiful view of the area. (Have a few pics of that one I think.) The second place is a hiking trail off the North Eastern shore of the lake, its about 2km in to the trees. In that stand you will find the biggest white pine I have seen in the 4 years I've been paying attention to trees. The stand is totally land locked by water and steep terrain so it have never been logged... these are trees like those that the settlers first saw when they arrived on this continent and exist in very few places today. They are easily 140ft, with the first branch being just under 60ft. We made an attemt to climb them but were Ill equipped to get anywhere past that first tie in point safley... They will be conquered next time now that we know what we're walking into. I have a pic at the base of one of these trees from the first trip I made in there w/o climbing gear just to show diameter.

If you're into portaging at all then you should definatly come check out algonquin sometime, this particular trip is a good one to bring climbing gear on because its mostly paddling and only 1km of hiking between Opeongo and Proulx lakes.

Nice photos Lumberjack, beautiful area, love to get up there someday. Interesting white pine you've got in the photo. It's not that big in diameter but the bark has the look of an old-growth white pine. I wonder if they grow slower there due to the cooler climate/longer winters. Would be very interesting to get a core sample to know how old it is. I'm guessing that 140' is the upper limit of what white pine can reach in that area. Thanks for the post.
-moss

Yeah pictures do no justice, thats one thats close to the trail... there are more further in I could see from the top of the canopy, gotta do some bushwacking though and firing a throwball through the thick stuff without a bigshot would be a tangled mess... Hopefully I'll get to the top on our 2010 trip, get a good pic of the 20 or so monster crowns poking through the beech and maple. Its kinda neat really, looking at the last few remaining dominant pine in a stand that is succeeding into tolerant hardwoods. (The beech there are full of claw marks as well, black bears love the beech nuts) Gives the whole place an eerie feel, like you're being watched. I have no doubt we'll see a bear or two in there if we keep going back.

There is also a a stand of red pine on another lake, rumored to be over the 100ft mark, thats about a 5 day trip though... maybe for another year. After that ---> West Coast redwoods? Yes. Looking at those pictures in national geographic... too cool.

Thanks for the info moss, keep these posts and videos comin!

Does the pulley in the RADS system actually provide a mechanical advantage, and therefore make you pull extra rope for the achieved distance. Or is it merely a redirect of the force?

In other words, if someone is using the RADS, are they trading ease of pulling for a shorter amount of movement up the rope?

-Josh

Does the pulley in the RADS system actually provide a mechanical advantage, and therefore make you pull extra rope for the achieved distance. Or is it merely a redirect of the force?

In other words, if someone is using the RADS, are they trading ease of pulling for a shorter amount of movement up the rope?

-Josh

The pulley (redirect) is simply allowing you to have a Grigri or similar device installed on the rope while you're ascending SRT. The benefit to having a Grigri installed on the the rope is:

a. It's capturing progress and is functioning as an ascender in that mode
b. You can instantly switch over to descent without having to lanyard off to the tree or do any major gear reconfiguration (simply take the ascender off the rope and descend).

RADS is not as efficient as SRT systems that utilize only mechanical ascenders but it is useful when you wan to be able to quickly change back and forth between ascent and descent.
-moss

Latest posts

Back