SRT with Friction Saver and Figure 8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sv211

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been recreationally climbing for about 6 months now, and love it! I climb using a SRT setup with an alpine butterfly knot around the branch. But b/c I climb almost everyday (on my lunch break) I wanted to use a FS to prevent unnecessary wear on both my rope and any one the trees here at the office.

So I came up with this setup, and would like some feedback.

The climbing line I use is the KMIII. The Hi-Vee shown in the picture is just what I had readily available for the photo.

I wanted to use the FS but didn't want to tie off at the base of the tree. So I passed the rope through the FS rings, then through the large ring on the figure 8. Added an Anchor Hitch, then out through the small ring on the figure 8. Backed it up with a stopper knot. I thought about tying a figure8 knot in place of the stopper knot, and loop it around the side I climb up on (kinda like a triple back up.

I tested this setup by securing the FS to my car hitch, and wrapped the rope around a boulder the size of a refrigerator, securing it with a bowline knot.
Stepped on the gas, slowly of course, and car started to bog down with no slipping of the rope splices or tails.

I have looked around but have not seen anyone rig up something similar. Am I crazy to think that this is a safe setup?

View attachment 272573

I take that the 8 bumps against the large ring of the friction saver. Is it noisy?

Correct. But b/c it is always in tension there is really no noise whatsoever.

Back