Standard carb ms261 back again ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is it the latest 261 with the new style clutch cover and a non m-tropic carb? Or the original version?

You don't here of MS261 Mtronic failure/problems, I am hanging on to my standard carb saw but like Brad I'd be surprised if they re-released them unless they were old stock.

Both my local dealers have received old style non mtronic 362's the last two time they ordered. They don't know whats going on. One has the OE 261 too, the other has mtronic ones. Neither has any of the type 2 261s.

Dont know, @big t double said standard carb 261s has been all hes ordered at his shop lately.
yes, we have been getting regular carb versions of the ms261 and ms362. I don't know how long that's going to last but that's all I have in stock right now. and these are german built saws. I can post pics but you guys know what they look like...plus I think sawmikaze will vouch, I'm not a liar.
@big t double has had quite a few mtron failures with the 261s..maybe he will chime in.
yep, seen a few from one tree service I deal with, no others. low hour saws...high hour saws....lower end rod bearings going kaput. we actually just put a crank in a month old NON m-tronic ms261 a couple weeks ago. at first I was told stihl was doing a limited run on regular carb ms261 and 362's for "select customers" that were having these issues...then a week or so later they were available to all. don't know the whole story...im at the bottom of the barrel. tow the line baby...tow the line. I was told the crankshafts have been reworked and these problems should go away. keep in mind, the saws I'm seeing these problems in are rode extremely hard and put away soaking wet. I doubt the average guy will have problems.

You don't here of MS261 Mtronic failure/problems, I am hanging on to my standard carb saw but like Brad I'd be surprised if they re-released them unless they were old stock.

The MS261 is far from a trouble free model - but I haven't heard of any issues that are related to the M-thronic. Most issues are related to the clutch and the PTO side of the crankshaft.

Back