Started clearing at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Time to start mining clay for this years cells.

Nice big shagbark but it was completely rotten in the center.

08b831ed26a7d0ce4846f5c7d36fccab.jpg

More pics as the project progresses. We have about 20 acres to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saved what was "efficient" off the hickory. The bosses don't like us spending a lot of time processing the wood, they would rather either push it in a pile and burn it, or chip it all. So its a fine line Ive got to walk in deciding what to process and what to toss in order to maintain the illusion of progress.

There was only 4" of good wood surrounding the rotten center. Lots of dead standing and downed ash that is still solid....

And the mud is still there....Just with a nice little blanket of insulation.

So all this land will all be full of garbage some day? Wow.

Yes. We have noticed, through the years, a decrease in volumes as recycling has become popular.... But we are still a very wasteful society. The shear volume of plastic that gets thrown away is amazing. Hard to quantify unless one sees it every day.

ETA: The available airspace beyond that stand of trees is immense. There is enough permitted land to maintain the landfill in this location, at current volumes, until roughly 2060.

I had a cut permit issued by the local landfill when they where doing a large expansion..I cut there for a couple years and it was great. Track hoe guys would bring all the best stuff up to a landing and use the thumb bucket to strip the limbs.

Everything was awesome until one of the guys I shared the permit with decided he wanted to help himself to the diesel fuel from the bulk tank rather than wood , luckily the security cameras caught him so he got to talk to the cops and not me. Needless to say the land owners didn't want to deal with this crap and they took all the gate keys back and I was out of the honey hole.

Shortly after I started working for this company we had one of the managers clearing with me. He took on a tree that was more than he could handle and it tore him up pretty good. Took us a while to find him underneath it. We haven't been able to use a chainsaw on site until last year other than to cut HDPE pipe. We've gone from that, to hiring a company to come in and cut everything and process it into split firewood, to just having them process it into logs and back to using the hoe to pull the trees and me limbing and cutting stumps.

We even have to sign waivers of liability if we are going to come in and cut and load on the weekends. Time is severely limited and we are limited to 1 load per day. And we are limited to only whats already laying on the ground. We aren't allowed to drop anything...

Shortly after I started working for this company we had one of the managers clearing with me. He took on a tree that was more than he could handle and it tore him up pretty good. Took us a while to find him underneath it. We haven't been able to use a chainsaw on site until last year other than to cut HDPE pipe. We've gone from that, to hiring a company to come in and cut everything and process it into split firewood, to just having them process it into logs and back to using the hoe to pull the trees and me limbing and cutting stumps.

We even have to sign waivers of liability if we are going to come in and cut and load on the weekends. Time is severely limited and we are limited to 1 load per day. And we are limited to only whats already laying on the ground. We aren't allowed to drop anything...
I had to sign a liability waiver and was limited to 3pm to dark as my cutting hours on week days and wasn't aloud to drop trees or be on the deck while any equipment was moving. The access road was gated and I had a key...I could cut and remove as much as I wanted and had access to the deck from daylight to dark on Sat& Sun.

They're doing another 100+ acre expansion at the dump now and have a logging Co. clearing everything ..it ether goes on a log truck or into the tub grinder/ incinerator.

I drive past ever day looking at the giant piles of trees wishing I could get back in that place!

Back