Started clearing at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress.

f5285cacbff8cf29305c09c39da6de7d.jpg

Spoils so far.

bb59e7ad8064f407aae3037f77c9abca.jpg

Not a lot, but this stand has been dying off for years. There is a lot that will get burned or chipped.

Sent from a field

I made a post in another forum section about it about forum issues, will see if it gets any response.

I don't get that option when I right click.

I do get a 'Open image in new tab' option, and when I click that I get 'This site can't provide a secure connection' and 'uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com uses an unsupported protocol.'

But I just tried it on my Samsung S7 (new gadget that I am just learning) - and I can see the pics on that.

Nice. Looks like fun. I sure hate to see so much wood go to waste, though. Hard to get it through some people's heads that burning wood for heat is one of the most environmentally friendly ways to generate heat, lower a carbon footprint, and reduce landfull waste.

I'm sure it hurts sometimes when you get too see BTU's wasted. At least you get have some. I drive by 40 cord of 100" cut and stacked pine. It's been down for a couple years and is just wasting away because the land owner doesn't want anybody on his property and he was unhappy they cut it for the high lines.

Thanks for the sharing the pictures. Cool to see!

Progress.
J
f5285cacbff8cf29305c09c39da6de7d.jpg

Spoils so far.

bb59e7ad8064f407aae3037f77c9abca.jpg

Not a lot, but this stand has been dying off for years. There is a lot that will get burned or chipped.

Sent from a field
With the over zealous EPA I don't understand how their allowed to burn. I was working with a developer for wood on a roughly 10 acre parcel. . . he was instructed by the state/county to chip all cleared timber. He got away getting me some larger logs under the premise he was using the wood to manufacture flooring. When I was working there you could hear huge grinder/chippers eating up whole trees in the distance on other properties. On more than one occasion I caught people taking photo s of me cutting and hauling logs to my trailer.
The state came thru and marked many trees with a metal tag and recorded species and size. He could cut one or all, but would be charged various predetermined amounts for any tree removee with a metal tag. I cut a choke cherry at his request and I asked about the tag on it. He proceeded to tell me that tree would cost him $1500 if he removed it. . .it had been stuck my lightening and was split down the side and center. I said this tree is junk and must be removed.... He said they do not care and if the tree/tag was removed it was $1500. . .what a sc

Casey Forrest:
Different kind of question:
Are Landfill Gas Collections Systems installed there??? And is it used to Generate Electricity with???

David

Casey Forrest:
Different kind of question:
Are Landfill Gas Collections Systems installed there??? And is it used to Generate Electricity with???

David

Yes and yes.

Subtitle D landfills are required to install gas collection systems. What they do with the gas is up to them but the minimum is to flare it off. We produce almost 8 megawatts from this site in addition to running a flare. The electric plant on this site is slated for expansion this year I believe as we flare more than enough cfm to power another genset.

Sent from a field

I read somewhere that Landfills (Once Capped) take 20 years to reach peak gas output.
After that they will produce gas at that level for many decades. Lots of ELE. to be made.

8 Megawatts. WOW! That is a lot.

David

I read somewhere that Landfills (Once Capped) take 20 years to reach peak gas output.
After that they will produce gas at that level for many decades. Lots of ELE. to be made.

8 Megawatts. WOW! That is a lot.

David

I'm not sure the numbers are right. Possibly a guess. It also depends on how quickly a site is filled and capped. We cap in stages. Leaving the cells to settle so we can go back in and recoup some of the air space. We also haven't noticed an increase in gas quality or flow post cap.

We do have another site here in Lansing that has been declining in flow and quality. But it is mostly C&D and contaminated soils.

Sent from a field

Now... If we could just figure out how to make the plastic decompose...
No telling how much gas would cook off.

David

Back