Starting a processor build.. pictures..FINALLY FINISHED!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I pulled my old splitter out of the woods the other day.. it hasnt ran in over 20 years.. cylinder is missing, pump is froze.. tires are shot..LOL.. when i'm done I hope to have a winch on top pulling the logs to the saw..well so far I have gathered up some new pretty little shiny things to put on it.. a 14hp briggs and scrap iron motor, a brand new Stanley hydraulic chainsaw with 20 inch bar.. a new 5 x 24 cylinder, a new 22 gpm pump one lovejoy coupling and 2 new prince valves..
my cylinder has 1/2 pipe fittings on it..when I look down into the fitting it has a hole less than 3/8 ID for the fluid to go through.. the wall thickness of the fitting is thick enough for me to drill and tap out to 3/4 npt.. BUT.. the cylinder does not come apart.. its a Nortrac.. I called the company and they told me its welded and thats that.. so.. I want the bigger holes for the flow..but dont want all the shavings to go into my cylinder... any thoughts?? thanks!

Nice JD and grapple set up....I saw that model grapple on Ebay before I got mine..is it JD 500 pins or skid steer mount? They only had it with a skid steer mount when I called them..btw what model is your tractor?

well i used this method of getting a broken off spark plug out of my motorcycle. i greased up a sharp drill bit and went just a little at a time. the grease would catch the shavings, i would clean it off and go again. it took a while but i got it. of coarse i could also fire up the engine on 3 cylinders to blow out anything left behind.

Nice JD and grapple set up....I saw that model grapple on Ebay before I got mine..is it JD 500 pins or skid steer mount? They only had it with a skid steer mount when I called them..btw what model is your tractor?
Thanks!! the tractor is a 6200.. the grapple was for a skid steer but I torched all of the quick connect off and fabbed my own to fit my loader..LOL

i couldnt see the pics before....
Are you sure that cylinder doesnt come apart? whats the black cap at the front of the cylinder for? looks like it has 2 holes in the face of it for a spanner wrench???
also id be careful drilling and tapping that port for 3/4 NPT might not be enough material left to handle the pressure...
but if you do it anyway, if that bridgeport is CNC ,and it looks like it is... (ive only run prototrak's) then just mill the holes and run a vacuum next to the cutter to suck the chips out, and do the same when tapping...

there is 2 holes in the end... good eye there! I thought the end screwed out and bent a good starret punch trying to move it.. finally called the company and they told me the end would not come out.. they could not tell me what the two "spanner wrench" holes were for.... it is a 3 axis cnc.. the od of the 1/2" fitting is 1.250 od of the 3/4 npt is 1.050,, leaving .100 wall thickness... will this be thick enough to handle the pressure?? may just be simpler to weld on a 3/4 coupling..

there is 2 holes in the end... good eye there! I thought the end screwed out and bent a good starret punch trying to move it.. finally called the company and they told me the end would not come out.. they could not tell me what the two "spanner wrench" holes were for.... it is a 3 axis cnc.. the od of the 1/2" fitting is 1.250 od of the 3/4 npt is 1.050,, leaving .100 wall thickness... will this be thick enough to handle the pressure?? may just be simpler to weld on a 3/4 coupling..
always nice to see people using starrett tools...the Athol made tools anyway, ( i grew up near Starrett's, and know lots of people that work there)
if i were you id get (make) a spanner to fit that, and give it another shot... if theres no weld holding that cover on then its threaded, theres no other way it could be held in , some have a snap ring holding the cap in but not with the configuration of your cylinder and this is the first ive ever heard of a cylinder no being able to be taken apart, also if it were "one piece" why would the end cap be a different color? anyway i would give it another shot, its likely pretty damn tight which is why a spanner and a BFH are usually required:)
and .100 wall thickness is pretty thin sch 40 is thicker than that... welding sch80 or120 half couplings in their place would be best!

looked up your cylinder, they sell seal kits for it... couldnt imagine they would sell them if the cylinder cant be taken apart??? coustomer service probably only knows what they can understand from the manual...

you know how hard it is to get anyone on the phone that knows anything.. one of the the first things he told me was that they did not sell any parts for these cylinders so there was no reason to take one apart.... its a nortrac brand.. ill mill me out a wrench tomorrow and give it a whack...lol..

Re. rebuilding the cylinder, it can be done. Even fully welded non-serviceable cylinders can be rebuilt, it is just a lot of work to cut the end off and then weld it back properly, so it is rarely done. Far as I've heard though all the Nortrac cylinders are fully rebuildable. Looking at those ports I'd want a little bigger myself also, no need for the restriction and now is the time to fix it. I've got one that I'll be doing the same thing to here real soon.

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks to nathon I called them again.. got a different feller and he said the cylinder would come apart... imagine that.. made myself a spanner wrench and hit it with all I had.. several times.. it finally broke loose and I got it apart..!

I milled a hole for the fluid and milled a boss for the schedule 80 3/4 fitting to fit on where I'm going to weld it.. the hole is about .962 ID.. a FAR cry from the puny .365 hole that it came with from the factory... what was they thinking????

I milled a hole for the fluid and milled a boss for the schedule 80 3/4 fitting to fit on where I'm going to weld it.. the hole is about .962 ID.. a FAR cry from the puny .365 hole that it came with from the factory... what was they thinking????

nice just make sure them welds are hot, dont need that popping off :blob2:

Thanks to nathon I called them again.. got a different feller and he said the cylinder would come apart... imagine that.. made myself a spanner wrench and hit it with all I had.. several times.. it finally broke loose and I got it apart..!

love the cylinder cap with the tail stock to keep the spanner in :rock:

Back