Steiner logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Refined my arch abit and had some time to play with it today. The darn winch handle vibrated loose and is long gone. Was pulling some pretty big stuff around another tree and maybe bent the hitch a little. Couple hours and I got some wood piled up. Won't be able to get it home until the wheat is off so I've been just cutting stuff down.
arch20.jpg arch16.jpg arch11.jpg arch8.jpg arch7.jpg

That Steiner looks really cool, and i feel like i should own one, but i have to ask. Purpose and ability wise, where does a Steiner realistically stand between a 4 wheel dirtbike and a riding mower? What is it offically marketed as? Do they still make them?

That Steiner looks really cool, and i feel like i should own one, but i have to ask. Purpose and ability wise, where does a Steiner realistically stand between a 4 wheel dirtbike and a riding mower? What is it offically marketed as? Do they still make them?
They do still make them, limited models though, Steiner was bought out by Brower quite a few years ago, not sure who owns the name now. The Steiner family had a 5 year non compete agreement when they sold out, they used those 5 years wisely. They completly reworked their idea, started back up under the name Ventrac. Now if you like the Steiner tractor, you'll LOVE a Ventrac! I have spent many hours on both, and the Ventracs are just a much more refined machine. The original Steiners were made here locally and the Ventracs still are, heck, I just seen one of the Steiner boys this morning. Anyways, they have (had) many attachments/accessories available that made them able to do almost anything you can do with a full size tractor, as long as you remember that you are on a 1000 LB 18-28 HP machine. But, the small size/weight with the ATV type tires allow you to go places that a full size tractor never could though, so like everything, they have pluses and minuses I guess. Both brands are still very popular and even though there are plenty of used ones around here, good luck finding a cheap one at an auction (or anywhere)!

Great way to haul home the firewood! Looks like a good time to weld (bolt) a receiver hitch on that tractor Cantoo!

I'm sure they would work for a lot of folks, but they don't begin to have enough ground clearance to be of much use for me, except maybe for mowing grass and I have that covered in spades with a zero turn mower/snow blower...

Anyway, you must not have as harsh of conditions in the spring/fall for logging/firewood that I do... To have a year around tool here, I need a tractor...

SR

For us now the Steiners are more of a toy than a work tool. We still do lawn rolling, gravel grading, lawn sweeping, fertilizing, weed spraying, rough lawn cutting, and a few other things. I have maybe 20 attachments for mine, most were made by me in my shop. I used to have lots of pics on here but I think most are gone now. Around here almost every chicken farmers has one or more of them around to clean out barns and spread shavings, especially in 2 storey barns. Pricewise you better be sitting down cause it's scary. Ground clearance is an issue as well as driving over hilly bush, there is very little knee room. It can be easy to get squished as it's articulates when you turn on a hill. They can't really be compared to a 4 wheeler due to the weight which gives good traction and the attachments available. Way heavier and better built than a lawn mower or lawn tractor. I have a Kubota L35 with can and this bush is too tight to prevent lots of damage. I will have room for the Kubota after I get the main trails cleaned out and widened.

brenndatomu, I just slapped my head. Why didn't I think of that, I even have a couple of receivers laying around that I made a few weeks ago. At least this one is bolted on so maybe I'll change it out in a few weeks when my wife doesn't notice. She uses it more than I do.

Did a little more logging today. Decided I might as well check the under carriage for any signs of wear. Happened pretty quick, you can see the 8" rotten piece of wood just by the back wheel. I was turning on a small hill and the front wheel went airborne with caused it to jack knife, I stuck my hand out and stopped it from rolling right over. Then the blade caught and held it there. Doesn't look like much but the hill was 2' high and with only a 4' width it was steep enough.
arch34.jpg arch35.jpg arch36.jpg arch37.jpg

Wow, glad it didn't go over on ya! I have some pretty good scars on my leg from trying to "catch" a side x side ATV during a low speed roll a few years back, not cool! Guess that's why they went with roll bars on the new Ventrac line.
Hows that new hitch lookin 'bout now?

No one uses their roll bar until, well..... really need them. They are really not for the operator either. They are for your wife, kids, parents, friends, and even your dog needs someone to throw a stick or two.

I natural to think we are control of our safety (and many things we are) but truth is, just as you found out, &@;6 happens. Personal seen 3 over turned tractors 2 guys walked away due to ROPS, 1 did not as the roll bar was folded because it was in the way and he didn't use it as he was a safe driver.

Personally been hit 3 times on the road, by a car unconvinced by my tractors slow speed, a drunk pickup driver, and a boat by a clueless driver not remembering how wide the trailer was. So when my 2020 came to the farm a rops and seat belt was was installed. Best 620$ that hopefully is never needed but will be the best investment ever made if it comes to using it!

And before someone pipes in and says I should install a roll bar on it if you look close you will see that I built the log arch frame out of 2 steiner roll bars that I cut down. We never ever used them so I cut them up. Guess I better pay better attention next time.

Well, you missed a golden opportunity to tell a nice fish story like "and today thought I had a slow leak, so did a quick driving adjust to get the wheel up for inspection..see..built in jack"!

something like that.... ;)

And before someone pipes in and says I should install a roll bar on it if you look close you will see that I built the log arch frame out of 2 steiner roll bars that I cut down. We never ever used them so I cut them up. Guess I better pay better attention next time.
LOL!! NOT TO WORRY CANTOO! she/he will be along before too long with all the wisdom of the elite loggers/forester and their "know-it-all smartazzdom" hind site hog fodder.... good to see you weighed the situation out with one hand out and the other on the controls!! that just shows the experience of a true all around woodsman. lol

Back