Sticker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got a pretty much unlimited supply of old Oak fence boards. This pile was getting ready to get the match. I usually plane them down and make display boards for trains. I was thinking about planing these down to use as flooring in my cabin. Cabin is not built yet. They are all 30 to 50 years old. Once I plane them I was just going to stack them tight in my shed, maybe ratchet strap them. I don't think mold will be a problem. What do you think, Joe.

Yeah I think they are pretty dry. Been nailed up in the sun for 30 plus years.When you run them through the planer you have to wear a mask because of the dry dust. I stacked them in my racks yesterday, didn't plane yet, and ratchet strapped them. They never check when you cut them. I'm going to hand pick the straight flat ones and set them aside for possible flooring. The rest will be display boards and frames, Thanks, Joe.

I've got a pretty much unlimited supply of old Oak fence boards. This pile was getting ready to get the match. I usually plane them down and make display boards for trains. I was thinking about planing these down to use as flooring in my cabin. Cabin is not built yet. They are all 30 to 50 years old. Once I plane them I was just going to stack them tight in my shed, maybe ratchet strap them. I don't think mold will be a problem. What do you think, Joe.

Young man in my experience with old oak. 2x8's used as joists in building constructed in the early 1920's. Planing wood this hard takes more knife replacements and time. I don't know why time and humidy fluctuations with whatver else contributes causes this but that is what my limited experience has shown.
Stay safe out there

Back