Stihl 009L leaks bar oil badly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
My Stihl 009L leaks bar oil. I keep it in a case and it is not unusual to have a half cup of bar oil in the bottom of the case. Most of my saws leak some bar oil but this one seems to have a major leak. Any ideas? Does this have a split tank that may have a bad seal? Thanks.

After using the saw, undo the oil filler cap to release the pressure. That will help but additionally, as pressures/temperatures rise and fall, oil will be syphoned out. Best idea is to drain the oil before putting away. Only takes a minute.

Al.

After using the saw, undo the oil filler cap to release the pressure. That will help but additionally, as pressures/temperatures rise and fall, oil will be syphoned out. Best idea is to drain the oil before putting away. Only takes a minute.

Al.

As stated, most of my saws leak some bar oil but this one loses a lot. And it didn't used to leak at this rate. I have an MS660 that seeps quite a bit of oil but the 009L leaks enough that I have to pour the oil out of the storage case. Draining the oil out is a good idea but I would rather track down the problem and fix it. Looked in the shop manual and it was pretty vague but I think I am going to clean the saw up, remove the bar and fill the oil hole with something thin and see where it comes out. May be bad o-rings on the oil pump?

drained the bar oil and filled the tank with jet fuel. Didn't notice any leaking. Put the rebuilt carb back on and ran the saw some. Oil seems to only be coming out the hole it's supposed to. I reassembled the saw, filled it with bar oil and laid it on its side (oil cap up) so I will see if I get a puddle. I also did release the oil cap and reinstalled it in case it had pressure.

Glad to have this one back in the line up. So I don't have any broken saws right now. The only thing not ready to go is the Jonsered that's waiting for the brake handle. Do need to do some sharpening though.

Back