Stihl 020AV carb settings???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
Anyone know the stock settings for the L/A, H and L carb screws on these saws? This is the all-metal TH saw with a 25:1 mix ratio.

Thanks...

dont have the 020
but the 020t
i turn each
most of the carbs are the same to get started

What does the TH stand for??? How old is this saw that has to run on 25:1???

If this a different kind of 020. I am going to have the I wants to add to my 020 collection.

Answer your question 1 turn out on L sometimes the L has to be turned out a little more to make them run right. The H is 3/4 to 1 turn out. The idle just fast enough to keep the chain from turning on the bar or whatever sounds right to you so it doesn't quit running.

An 020 in proper tune will idle a little fast when started cold. After the saw gets warm it will settle down. I have found this to be kind of a norm with these saws. Sometimes you have to start the saw cold 3-4 times an fiddle with the carb making minor adjustments to get an 020 in proper tune where it will accelerate cleanly with no stumble. They are fussy saws.

If the saws doesn't run right it probaly has an air leak in it somwhere, more than likely from bad bearings.

What is up Windthrown?? Your pretty savy when it comes to saws. This seems like too basic of a question for you to ask.

Larry

Last edited:
TH is top handle. The early model 020AV came in a top handle model, as well as a rear handle AVP model. These saws are from the early 1970s. No books on them that I can find, the Stihl web site user manuals starts with the 020T model (that saw has only the L screw, no H). This saw is earlier than my experience with the later modern Stihls. I figured someone here would know how to pre-set the carb an old 020AV like this one.

This one is all metal, and the precursor to the later early model 020T which was half plastic. I will probably sell it becasue I cannot see using it (I do not climb any more). Most saws back then ran 25:1 gas/oil mix, but several on here say that you can run them fine on 50:1 new and better oils. I still dump in 25:1 on this one though. It still has the tag on the back with instructions for how to start it.

I did notice the fast idle when cold and setteling down when it gets warm thing. I figured maybe it was the H & L settings, and that is why I wanted to know what the L& H screw settins are for it. This one is near new from the looks of it. Was in a guy's Winnebago and he used it for camping twice a year. Has an all but new bar and chain on it, and little if any chips in the paint. I looked at the piston and there is no scoring, and the plug is nice and tan.

Anyway, thanks for the tuning tips. :greenchainsaw:

BTW, here is a photo of the little beastie...

attachment.php

That is a very cool saw. I love them stories about a saw that was barely used or forgot about. Like a little time machine. Very cool :)

Back