Stihl 021 saw starting problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapiron57

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 021 saw that has started and run with no problems from day one. I have been using it the last few days to clear fallen branches, the result of early snow storm in CT. This week I cannot get it to start. I have changed and gapped the plug, removed the spark screen, changed the fuel filter and fuel line, cleaned the air filter and filled it with fresh 50:1 fuel. It will start immediately with starter fluid, but stop as soon as it is burned off. It seems pretty obvious that the carb is not getting fuel, but I don't know what to try next. Suggestions?

trank vent?

I have a Stihl 021 saw that has started and run with no problems from day one. I have been using it the last few days to clear fallen branches, the result of early snow storm in CT. This week I cannot get it to start. I have changed and gapped the plug, removed the spark screen, changed the fuel filter and fuel line, cleaned the air filter and filled it with fresh 50:1 fuel. It will start immediately with starter fluid, but stop as soon as it is burned off. It seems pretty obvious that the carb is not getting fuel, but I don't know what to try next. Suggestions?

i had one do this had me pissed had to grab for another saw... got home next day saw the tank vent tube was off i did a make shift one fired right up ... hit the local dealer got two lil machined screws and i piece of tube badda boom been fine ever since.... be nice if its an easy fix like that good luck.

This might be a long shot but we have an 021 that you have to manually hold the choke lever down when pulling - pulling with left hand while right thumb holds choke/on/off lever in down(choke) position. Something is bent in there that I just haven't gotten around to fixing yet. If you didn't know the saw you'd pull till the recoil rope broke and never get it started.

check your linkage

Latest posts

Back