Stihl 021

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorFr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys.

To start off I am new to the forum so I apologise for any rookie mistakes ;)

I have a sick Stihl 021 which needs a new connecting rod, I have found a genuine Stihl connecting rod for sale but I always thought you had to buy the whole crankshaft assembly.

So I was wondering if someone could tell me how you can remove and replace the connecting rod on my Stihl as it would save me a lot of money :).

Many thanks.

You need to know what you have first. There are two different cranks for the 021. One had a replaceable rod, and the other does not. If it is a newer saw, you will probably need a whole crank assy.

I have the serial number for the chainsaw but not the year as the sticker has come off. Is there anyway of finding out the year from the serial number or is there anyone on here who could possibly tell me?

One can buy 3 or 4 and maybe 5 021,023,025 saws for the price of a replacement crank and rod. Shop around before you spend your money.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at that option too but unfortunately I live in France and chainsaws can be expensive, even broken!!

Would a 025 crank fit a 021, as I have a friend who has one?

Is there anyway of finding out the year from the serial number or is there anyone on here who could possibly tell me?

Unlike Dolmar and Husqvarna where the first few digits indicate year of production and month or week, Stihl is just a serial number.

I had to call Stihl to verify the manufacture year and month of my saw with the serial number.

Look on the muffler face

On my 025, the year of manufacture is stamped in a small font on the face of the muffler.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at that option too but unfortunately I live in France and chainsaws can be expensive, even broken!!

Would a 025 crank fit a 021, as I have a friend who has one?

Nope

Ok well thanks for your help guys.

I guess I will ring Stihl and see if they can give me the year and go from there.

Latest posts

Back