Stihl 024avs wood boss identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 024avs wood boss (according to the top cover) how can I verify it really is an avs?There is a c in the middle ,top of the cylinder with an SP2 stamped on top of the cylinder by the spark plug hole,,or go by the serial #113916737,?,I don't know how old it is,I am not the original owner,,,but I need a piston and maybe cylinder,any recommendations?It doesn't look that hard to change,the only challenge might be the intake boot?
Thanks

Pull the muffler and measure from back of the cyl to muffler flange with caliper depth rod then measure with piston up blocking the port and subtract that from first measurement. If you don't have calipers stick a straw in cyl and run piston up til it pinches straw then remove and measure. Ken

The bore on the 024 and the 024super are the same but the stroke on the 024 is 30mm while the stroke on the 024super is 32mm. If you do have an 024super you can put an 026 top end on it as they share the same stroke.

Pull the muffler and measure from back of the cyl to muffler flange with caliper depth rod then measure with piston up blocking the port and subtract that from first measurement. If you don't have calipers stick a straw in cyl and run piston up til it pinches straw then remove and measure. Ken
It looks like 42mm,aren't the av & avs the same bore?

Yes. Instead of checking through the exhaust port you might try rigging something up to check through the spark plug hole (or pull the cylinder if you're going to anyways). Top dead center to bottom dead center is the measurement you need.

If you need to replace the cylinder I'd ck MM's 024s Sleeper thread. Sounds like you need to pull cyl and ck things. You can on some saws measure stroke though the plug hole. I would recommend removing the coil as the magnet cause you grief near TDC. Just start at top or bottom and find a position for the caliper that can be duplicated then move the piston to the opposite end, no math on this one. Hope that helps. Those make a nice limbing and woodcutting saw.

If you need to replace the cylinder I'd ck MM's 024s Sleeper thread. Sounds like you need to pull cyl and ck things. You can on some saws measure stroke though the plug hole. I would recommend removing the coil as the magnet cause you grief near TDC. Just start at top or bottom and find a position for the caliper that can be duplicated then move the piston to the opposite end, no math on this one. Hope that helps. Those make a nice limbing and woodcutting saw.
My very rough measurement is 30mm for the stroke.,,I wore out my 011 and thought I'd move up to an 024,,I have an 034 also for bigger cuts.

Pull the piston off as it needs to go anyways and check the difference between BDC and TDC. Measure from the top of the connecting rod. Use a caliper and maybe even a bit of thin cardboard and make marks. 024 stroke is 30mm and 024super stroke is 32mm.

From the top of the rod to where?
Roll the crank over with the flywheel. The lowest point of the crank throw is bottom dead center so measure from the base where the cylinder sits to the top of the connecting rod. Then turn the crank 1/2 of a turn and you'll be at top dead center or the highest point of the crank throw. Measure again from the base to the top of the con rod. The difference between these two measurements is your stroke.

Latest posts

Back