Stihl 025 carb problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutforfun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently got an 025 that had been siting for a few years and figured i could get it going, I have pulled the muffler, pressure tested and rebuilt the carb and i cant get the thing to run. It will only run with the choke fully on. I have pulled the carb apart a few times now, and know that i have put it back to gether correctly. Need some advice It is acting like it is getting flooded out, the plug is wet:censored:

How is the fuel filter in the tank? Are there any cracks in the fuel line itself? Was there any build-up of gummy gas in any of the ports inside the carb?

Did you soak the carb i use a carb dip or acetone the stuff in spray cans dont do much. Make sure the port is open under the needle. Also i have been finding inlet screens that look clean but they have a film and fuel wont flow thru. When i get a problem like this i take the cover from the needle seat side of and use a hypodermic type plunger and push fuel into the inlet and you can see what is going on in there. BILL

thanks guys, i pulled the carb apart again and now it is taking a bath in carb cleaner, i hope it will work, the fuel lines and impulse lines are new

Which one is it? I've rebuilt a few WT215 that didn't work after rebuild until, that is, I adjusted the metering valve lever height. I think they are set wrong out of the package, maybe for another carb? To check, throw your old one back in if you still have it.

Also, many of us have bought ultrasonic cleaners (small ones can be pretty cheap) to address plugged up carbs.

can i swap in my carb from an 021 or is the jetting diffrent, the 021 is a fixed h screw? I just want to be 100% that it is the carb

By all means, swap that thing! The best diagnostic toll you could possibly have is an identical runner. On the other hand, if you're pretty sure the problem is the carb, you will only be confirming your diagnosis, and goofing up the tune on your 021, not a big deal if you're good with carbs. What you might want to do before you remove the carb from the 021 is gently seat both screws and remember or write down the number of turns it took.

Jetting is the same, but it will require you to modify the carb settings. I'll be honest, I've not used the Walbro tool, I've just set the lever even with the top of the carb body.

I am usually good with adjusting the carb and have rebuilt a bunch of them, I have never need the walbro tool as i have always set it level with the carb body also. I can not get this thing to work, I will swap carbs and see what happens

Back