Stihl 026 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikensjc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy, new to the forum, I picked up a Stihl 026 non-pro chainsaw the other day for 20$, I was told the cylinder was bad, so I ordered a fairly cheap cylinder kit. Upon taking the cylinder off, it looked in OK condition but the crank rod bearing was bad, can I get away with not replacing that?

Also there is no play in the crank up and down, but it wobbles a little bit from the top of the connecting rod

Just buy an intact case with crank from a member here. I have one if you need it.

If you have a bad crank lower bearing, which is fairly rare, you'll need to split the tank, but a new crank and do a ton of work.

They're not that pricey. Less than its gonna cost you in tooling and parts.

While ur at it and the bottom end seals and bearings are good. Get rid of that old impulse line and put a new one in and check ur intake boot for cracks. Easy things to replace that make a world of difference.
Good luck

I've seen a video of a drag bike losing a piston. Connecting rod let go from the crank at full throttle, piston went through the bike and took off the riders hand. Probably a good idea to replace the crank bearing.

If there bad... A lot of old chainsaws were not abused with long hours with bad mix. Seals.... yes. Bearings only if they have slop! Any slop! But not ... Let them ride:blob2:

Well after looking closer the bearing is fine, and I cleaned the saw and oiled the bearing. Is it normal on these saws to have the paint stained by the exhaust?

Exhaust port. Hell yes
U spit oil and heat out ur ass and tell me what is normal lol

well it's all about what u want it for .
For a climber its light weight and good for small limbing but it's a cheep composit body homeowners saw that can't take a long beating with a very teetios carb.
Not my first choice but u get it for a good price... Ok

An 026 is clearly preferable to the choked up and demoted US version of the MS260, made after some time in 2004. The early 260s weren't that way though, and the Euro ones never was that way. It is the 44.7mm/50.2cc US ones that are really choked up, and "detuned", 3.2 hp vs 3.5.

You could throw a MS170 after me, and I wouldn't pick it up even if free......

Back