Stihl 026 Issue - Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boundaryh20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all:

Was trimming trees in the yard over the weekend when this issue developed...the saw will run well for a few seconds...then seem to "lean out" like it is running out of gas (by rev'ing high) and then run out of gas and quit while trying to cut. Wait a few seconds, the saw will start and then repeat.

Basicly, I think that the saw is not being fed enough gas and this issue occurred rather suddenly.

Suggestions for a fix? I was considering blowing out/replacing the gas feeder tube the supplies the carb. Should I just re-build the carb?

This has been a great saw...bought it new back in '93ish.

Thanks,
Bryan

How old is the saw?? This sounds like either a deteriorated fuel line or clogged filter. Look at the fuel line very carefully. There can be cracks that are hard to see.

Do this before any carb work.

Pest has said some good checks. Try those first.

Do you think your carb may be off? My 026 had the 2 screw carb(idle, and L). I needed a new carb anyway so I got a 3 screw to mod the muffler. My saw would not run even after a carb rebuild.....with the new carb it runs great!!!:cheers: :cheers:

The impulse line is a great place to look, but I rarely find a problem with them on the 026. Even the fuel lines seem to last for decades.

A carb doesn't just suddenly need rebuilding. You have an in-tank filter, and and inlet screen filter. If the tank filter has been neglected (or it's a POS zama filter), the inlet screen may need to be cleaned. If that's blocked, often all you need to go is clean that.

Fuel: Check your fuel filter, fuel line, carb INLET screen. The best way to test your fuel line is to pressurise it from the tank end.
Impulse: implulse line, seals, crankcase integrity.

Remove the carb, put a small blob of grease on the impulse line end and crank over. If you have crankcase vac, it will suck in / pulse. If you don't, the maybe the line and then seals... I'd verify with a pressure test to make sure it's not the cylinder head gasket etc.. If it is a seal it's almost always the flywheel side.

BUT.... your symptoms also could be tank vent. Next time it happens loosen the tank cap and and see if it comes to life.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I finally got to this project today...ya know...wife/kids/dog/life!
Took the carb off and cleaned everything I could. then blew out everything I could and cleaned the fuel filter. Now it is running great. Still not sure exactly what was wrong.

BTW, what does the carb 'plug' into? There is a 90 fitting coming off of the carb that slides into a black rubber hose/fitting(?) on the lower right side. What is the purpose of this?

Bryan

I finally got to this project today...ya know...wife/kids/dog/life!
Took the carb off and cleaned everything I could. then blew out everything I could and cleaned the fuel filter. Now it is running great. Still not sure exactly what was wrong.

Yup, sounds like she just needed a good cleaning. That's not pretty good if you only had to do that once since '93.

BTW, what does the carb 'plug' into? There is a 90 fitting coming off of the carb that slides into a black rubber hose/fitting(?) on the lower right side. What is the purpose of this?

Sounds like you're refering to the impulse line. If it leads from that 90 fitting on carb and go to the base of the jug(cylinder).
Bryan

:clap: :clap:

Back