Stihl 028 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckhunterx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First let me say that this site is a Godsend for those of us that are not quite as knowledgeable in this field.
I have just purchased a Stihl 028 AV Super and I would like to know what most of you think of this saw. I have an 026 and I would like to know how this saw compares to its weight, rpms, cutting ability and durability. Thanks,

Also I am very happy with my 026, but I have used it quite extensively and it's starting to show.

The 028 is as good of a saw as the 026. A tad more power, should pull a 20" bar about like the 026 pulls an 18". I think both are rock solid saws.

Congrats on your new X-mas toy! :blob2:

As a side note, now would be a good time to go through your 026 and service it up real good. New fuel and air filters, plug, carb kit, etc. If it has good compression, it will run like new when you get done! ;)

I have the 038 AV which is it's bigger brother. This series is one of Stihl's best IMHO. With a little care, they are as dependable as gravity.

Your 026 is probably a tad lighter and slightly higher RPM, but the 028 is better built.

There were a couple 028 "cream puffs" on EBAY a couple weeks ago. Is your's one of them?

im no authority,on saws. i do know what saw i want for general
al around work. i have a 28 and 28 super.i wouldnt take any other saw in trade ,if i had to use it day in and day out.
its getting harder to find them that arnt used up.
the super does rev a lttle higher but the difference is not that big a deal. the main thing to me ,is they are work saws,not saws to work on. congrats on your saw.

i have a 310 stihl and it is an amazing saw i've tried out many of saws from 026-044 magnum and for the best value and power it is a great saw with a 20" bar

i was forced to use my buddies 028 to cut my sxl-925 homelite out of a pinch from the tree shifting from a gust of wind. i hated it. the main problem is the position of the kill switch. i think i turned it off 5 or 6 times before i even got into a cut. and i was not too impressed with how it cut even with a fresh chain on it. once i got my homelite out i was happy again.

Andrew, that wouldn't be a tad bit of anger or frustration coloring your judgement at the time, would it? I believe that in the same situation, I could be using a titanium saw with gold plated handle, 12 HP @14K RPM, and a total weight of 6lbs, and I'd STILL be bitchin' while tryin' to free my favorite saw! :rolleyes:

Anyways, sorry you weren't too impressed with the 028. As for the kill switch, I have that problem with the 020T. The switch position never bothered me on the 028 or any other rear handled Stihl. :confused:

hello andrew ,to bad u had to use a saw that u are not familar with. why didnt your buddy cut it out. that would have solved your problem. same thing happened to me when i tried to use a homelite. found out it didnt fit my hands.exception being my old super xl. but now it wouldnt fit my back.later now

my buddy isn't all that happy with that saw either. but i have large hands and when i am wearing gloves when i am cutting in near zero conditions it makes it worse with that kill switch problem. but i will give every saw an equal chance when i have to use them and i take into consideration of the actual size of the saw. but that stihl you have to fight with it to make it cut even with a new chain on it. i tried using it a few other times later that day and i still had the same opinion of it. the only part that i liked about it was the fact that it was nice and light for limbing. so light that after i was using that big homelite all day it felt like i was throwing around a tinkertoy while i was using the little girl. not saying that i totaly hate stihl but i am just not too impressed with their saws. for the time i will stick to the other german saw that i run on ocasion a sachs-dolmar 153. i love it. absolutly no lack of power. i be4t ya she will hold her ground when pitted against a 088. but i will give my dad's 032 a try tomorrow when i cut.

i think its really a matter of knowing a particular piece of equipment.ive learned to expect certain things from a saw. this 028 gives me that with no surprises. u know your homelites and while some dont think much ofum . u know the equipment and it gives u what u want. id say u were fortunate ,as u can buy the saws u want at a better new price.
has the 028 been used up pretty much,if not i might be interested,if your friend dont like it. nothin else i could use it for a pts saw.
later now

Good news gentlemen I just fired up my 028 and I realized why I buy stihls, she purred like a kitten with a heart of a lion.

I do have one question though, it has what appears to be a normal bar, I was thinking about purchasing a oilamatic bar.

What are the advantages of the oilamatic.

Congrads on the 028. in my oppinion its one of the best built saws ever made. as far as the bar oilmatic ?not oilmatic chain.

Oregon makes a good product and might be less expensive.
How much you plan on using it and the purpose for what you want it for should be the deciding factors in choosing the type of bar.

Latest posts

Back