Stihl 028 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had a man call me last week with a "Partner 400" that runs and he wants to sell. While on the phone he said oh yea i also have a couple of Stihl 028's too.
The way he spoke the stihs do not run. So there seems to be a couple (at least )models of 028 which are the most desireable? 28 wood boss , 28 super av..... and what are they worth if i cannot start them up when i see them? I was thinking i may buy then flip or give one to my brother. What would you consider a buying price with this in mind? I know this is almost no info but you guys are the best to ask . Thaks Jeff

I'd leave the partner 400 alone.its one of the first plastic models of plastic clam shells to come out.parts are hard to find.
As far as the 028's go $50 each no more.about all of the 028's are as desirable as the other.the 42mm wb less so because of being hard to find pistons etc. Still a nice one is worth little bit to a collector.i actually have 3-4 metal tank wb's and love them.

PM me if the 028s are complete. I just dug into a 028S that has a nearly new OEM P/C that I found in a parts lot. Needs a good clean up and missing some odds and ends.....I think some rubber parts and a carb kit will make it a good runner.

Ok I will see what is what. Now on the 400 so that is a " newer" plastic one hua? I will see them eventually. He is retired I think and sounds busier than ever. When we can be at the same place at the same time I will see what he has. SO to be clear you think I can pay $50 for the non running Stihl's and get my money back and then some? I wont hold you to it of course but I don't know much about Stihls so that's why I asked. Thanks Jeff

Thanks Jug I may sell them around home or maybe ship them who knows I may not even buy them at all !! I just get way to excited to play in the shop I guess ! I guess in my mind I was wondering if I bought them and repaired them then sold them, would I make any profit if I had to ship them to lets say you in Tenn?

Really depends on what all is needed.still $50 would be the break even point for selling for a good parts saw.

I just picked up a pile of saws and three are 028's.Had enough good parts to make a runner.Just need some seals and all's good.The working on Stihl is a bit of a curve.

Even parting a good parts 028 out if you pay $50 your not going to make much.the 028 was built for one purpose to work.most even though have been worked hard have issues.the issues usually are easily solved BUT it takes money to breath life back into them.the 028 is one saw that your not going to make much on any way you do it.high range on a super is only $300 for a nice one.what did the mastermind 028 go for a while back? If im not mistaken it was $325.i would havethat just in a complete el cheapo build on one.

What/Where do ya'll find 028's for only $50 as parts saws? Must just be my location, nobody sells em for much less than $100.

Last one I got was part of a parts lot that came with a complete 064 (needed /needs a coil) off CL.

Besides the 064, there was a 024S and 028S both semi-stripped down but most of the parts still there.

I thought the 024S and 028S were junkers until I checked them out 6 months later, both turned smooth and free. The 024S piston looks a little worn but no scoring at all, the 028S looks pristine inside with the machine marks still on the exhaust side of the piston. Not sure why they were stripped down and left that way? A meteor piston in the 024S, a set of cabers in the in the 028S , and they could both be runners with some clean up and rubber parts/seals.

$200 for the whole lot.

I guess it depends on location. I've had some guys think their non running Stihls were worth 50 or more, and in the case of, say, a 026 Pro, 036, 028 Super, etc, they may well be worth that. Very subjective and depends on whether you're flipping or keeping.

I can usually buy a non running Stihl, 025/250 for example, for 15 to 30. I just tell people I'll only pay for what I can see on the outside, i.e. 10 for bar and chain, another 10 or 15 for the plastics. For all I know, the rest may be junk. There are certain saws that are more desirable, saws that you can tell are going to be runners, etc, and are therefore worth more. This is something you get a feel for with time and, again, is subjective in some cases.

Example of a lot buy...I'm getting a 026 that starts, 170that starts, 024 and 2 170 parts saws, $75 for the lot. Buying lots is the way to go. I have a "non running" wanted ad on cl. I may get a guy that wants 75 for a non running Poulan but the same day I find a lot like the one described above.

Put a wanted ad out there and don't be in a rush. There's hundreds of quality saws, sitting dusty and unused, in most towns. The hunt for them is really a lot of fun.

I should mention, watch out for stolen saws. I went to look at some saws the other day. Low to mid income home and a garage full of high dollar tools from several professions.......

yea i bet.....
I just picked up a pile of saws and three are 028's.Had enough good parts to make a runner.Just need some seals and all's good.The working on Stihl is a bit of a curve.

The only thing i ever did to a Stilh was put a piston in my cousins 029. They told him at 3 differant shops to toss it. Said the cost of the parts and the labor would be way more than the cost of a brand new 029. Then they said unless you know someone willing to give it a try, thats how i got involved.
So we put a new oem 29 piston in it removed the base gasket and did a mild muff mod ,rebuilt the carb. That was almost 80 cord of hardwood sawn into 16" fire wood ago. He cuts 40 cord every winter to sell ,buy the time this spring gets here it will be over 80 cords on it and he says it still goes good. I later did price an brand new 029 and it was $356.00. After i was done people asked me why i did not buy an 039 top end for it instead?... i had no idea i could.

Back