Stihl 028 Wood Boss Super Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just found this forum and you guys sure know your chainsaws so I hope that someone can help me with my question. I just bought a 028 Super that seems to be in excellent condition. I took it out today and it cuts great. The only thing I didn't like was that the chain kept moving when I released the throttle. Is there a problem with the chain brake or did some of the 028s not have them?

The chain brake, if present, is actuated by pushing the hand guard forward. If the chain keeps moving after you let off the throttle, maybe th idle is too high. That is set with the saw warm, using the LA screw, on the 028 that screw is larger by far than the L and H screws. Loosen LA to lower idle, till chain stops, then 1/4 turn more.

The chain brake, if present, is actuated by pushing the hand guard forward. If the chain keeps moving after you let off the throttle, maybe th idle is too high. That is set with the saw warm, using the LA screw, on the 028 that screw is larger by far than the L and H screws. Loosen LA to lower idle, till chain stops, then 1/4 turn more.

Teacherman, I know adjusting the idle is really basic but I've never worked on a chainsaw. What is the LA screw and where is it located?

Teacherman, I know adjusting the idle is really basic but I've never worked on a chainsaw. What is the LA screw and where is it located?

If looking down on the 028, the engine cover and the air filter cover has a gap between them. Look to the right side and you will see a slotted scew sticking up. That is the LA or idle screw. Left turn idles down and right turn idles up.

Adjusting the idle seemed to take care of the problem. Thanks for the advice guys.

Wow this is too much of a coincidence! I just got my first saw yesterday ... a Stihl 028 with a 16" bar!!

I tried her out and I noticed the same thing ... chain moving while idling. I will try her out again tonight and adjust the idle when she is warm. Thanks!

stihl025, thanks for the link to the manual.

If looking down on the 028, the engine cover and the air filter cover has a gap between them. Look to the right side and you will see a slotted scew sticking up. That is the LA or idle screw. Left turn idles down and right turn idles up.

I may be an idiot, but my new to me 028 super does not have an LA or
idle adjustment. It starts, runs, cuts but will not idle. You have to stay
on the throttle to keep it running and I can not find the LA. Maybe
something is missing???

thanks

willis,
it's there on the right side of the carb body. the signs might be worn off the housing body but the screws are there. they are two slotted screws right next to each other on the right side of the carb. the LA is the one furthest right.

Post a pic of what you got ( right side-chain side ) and we'll point it out to you if'n it ain't clear.
A

Latest posts

Back