Stihl 028WB top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_bud

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently blew up the top end of my Stihl 028WB (seized, gouged cylinder wall). I suspect it happened due to bad crank seals. Does anyone know where I could find a cheap top end? (cylinder and piston assy) Any help would be appreciated.

Stihl aftermarket parts

I've collected, restored chainsaws for sometime. Primarily, buy from ebay and Bailey's plus other internet sellers. The less time I have to spend talking to a person on the phone the better. In my area, the Stihl dealer is the only knowledge local source. rick

stihl 028 wb top end

The previous poster was correct. The Stihl 028 did come in three different sizes, 42mm, 44mm, and a 46mm. The early 028 wb came with the 42mm. The 028 av and 028 super came with a 44mm and then a 46mm on the super. However, if your 028 wb has the 42mm it is NOT interchangeable with the 44mm and 46mm p/c, due to the rod length. So if your 028wb has a 42mm you must install a 42mm back in the saw. Also your 028wb piston might have the arrow pointing toward the intake side. Pay no attention to that and install it correctly. Early on they stamped a few pistons wrong.

All info is correct. Brad's gotta 44mm for sale in the classifieds that looks real good at a great price. You can get a meteor piston from a site sponsor and your good to go. Good info on the different rod lengths between the 42mm and the others. I've got the better part of 3-4 028's and they are all 44mm and 46mm. I've yet to run across a 42mm.

All info is correct. Brad's gotta 44mm for sale in the classifieds that looks real good at a great price. You can get a meteor piston from a site sponsor and your good to go. Good info on the different rod lengths between the 42mm and the others. I've got the better part of 3-4 028's and they are all 44mm and 46mm. I've yet to run across a 42mm.

I've got a 42mm if you really want to come accross one.. !!! Caused me some confusion when I first purchased it...oh to be young and dumb again !!!

Yeah my 028 doesn't have any chain brake components on it. It also has the 42mm bore but I took my friend's blown up 46mm cylinder and piston from his 028 Super and bolted it on without piston rings to see if it would work. It turned over fine, the ports lined up with the piston the same as mine did and the piston skirt didn't hit the crankcase either. But I finally found a 42mm cylinder and piston on Ebay after looking for a couple months so I might try that, as well as replacing the crankcase gasket, crank seals, and intake boot. Thanks for the info guys!

(I found out there's different size 028 bores when I tried ordering piston rings for mine a while ago :msp_blink: )

stihl 028 wb top end

My mediacat also only shows 44mm and 46mm piston and cyclinders for the 028. I tried putting a 44mm piston and cylinder on my 028wb and the piston kept hitting the top of the cylinder preventing it from making a full rotation. So I put a 42mm piston and cylinder in it and it works great. My 028wb is one of the old ones that is all metal.

My IPL lists only one part#/crankshaft for the 028.

IIRC I put a bigger top on a 42mm saw. I believe the case had to be clearanced slightly. Hitting the top of the cylinder could be caused by several things. I culd be wrong but am pretty sure one of the conversions I did was 42 to 44. I'm sure Fish knows the answer.

When I put a super{46mm} top end on my old 028wb{42mm} I had to grind alittle on the case for piston to clear. The stroke is the same for all.

My IPL also only lists parts for a 44mm or 46mm top end. So when I was trying to order piston rings for it a while back I ordered 44mm and that's how I found out mine was a 42mm :msp_blushing: But like I said in my earlier post, I put a 46mm top end on mine with no modifications to the saw and the crank turned freely and the ports lined up the same.

Ok, dunno if anybody will see this since the last post was from 3 years ago, but I have an old 028wb in need of a piston/ring job. Is there any way to be sure what bore size I have before tearing the saw down? Serial number is 210417478, saw was purchased new by my dad in I think 1982 or 83. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Ok, dunno if anybody will see this since the last post was from 3 years ago, but I have an old 028wb in need of a piston/ring job. Is there any way to be sure what bore size I have before tearing the saw down? Serial number is 210417478, saw was purchased new by my dad in I think 1982 or 83. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Could be anything, best to take the top end off and measure. Only way to be certain

Take off muffler and turn over until ex port is open, insert a plastic straw to intake side of cyl, turn over until straw is pinched. Remove straw and measure to pinch make.

i do the same thing but use a chop-stick (when it gets pinched the piston makes a nice crisp mark in the bamboo)

I have put a 44mm on a 42mm saw before with no problems. 42mm pistons for the 028's are hard to find.

Supposedly, the 44 mm started after SN 6111990

Where does one find the SN on the 028 Woodboss?
Well, the number I found was stamped into the top of the case between the muffler and the spikes/dogs, directly under the chain brake handle, in really small numbers.

Latest posts

Back