Stihl 031 AV ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a chance. That cap is only rated for 100V. Spark plugs spark in the 20,000 to 50,000V range. If the coil is a 100:1 turns ratio....than you would need a 200 to 500V cap......but what about different turns ratios? You need more volts and LOW dissipation factor. I am pretty sure you need a low dissipation factor because there is high ripple current. Basically the amount of watts dissipated by the cap will be too high if it is not a low D and low equivalent series resistance cap. Guys here have been getting the Wima caps from mouser.com very cheap.

I can not post a pic but you need to buy a flywheel puller remove the flywheel and take out the condenser. Then just solder two wires to the new part. Ground one and connect the other where the point wire was. Really an easy job if you can do much wrenching. Hope this helps

Does anyone know of an updated link for this part? Mouser doesn't seem to have any available.

This is the saw I was given. It cut a lot of wood in my grandpas hands. If this was your saw, what would you do to give it a good overhaul. (Already ordered a chip)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 10
This is the saw I was given. It cut a lot of wood in my grandpas hands. If this was your saw, what would you do to give it a good overhaul. (Already ordered a chip)

put in the new capacitor (replace the condensor), then check the fuel and impulse lines, or just change them. i've never heard of crank seals going on an 031. clean the carb, tune it, run it.

Latest posts

Back