Stihl 031av chain saw points setting/cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do I adjust the bar oil supply on a 026 chainsaw. I cant tell how deep it is or if its a regular , philips or what type tip?

I really shouldn't respond to this post, but I will give it a shot,,,,,for what it may be worth.

If you have an adjustable oiler like on a MS260pro,,, the oil adjuster is on the bottom of the saw. It simply needs a regular flat tip screwdriver, and it is only about a half inch below the opening. There should be an arrow at the hole that is bigger on one end than the other. I believe that you turn the screw clockwise to increase the volume of oil. Now, you may not have an adjustable oiler on the 026 if it is not labeled as the "pro" saw. That is how the MS260's are anyway. If it isn't a "pro' labeled saw, you cannot adjust the oiler volume. Some may come and say that all 026's had adjustable oilers,,,,but I am not sure about it at all. Hope this helps.

Bob

From what I can tell I think your correct about it not being adjustable and also where is the chain oil hole located?

Are you asking where the bar oil outlet hole is located on the saw? If so, the oil comes out just above the bar studs. Remove the bar, and you will see a slot about a half inch above the bar studs. On one end of the recessed slot is the little hole that the bar oil is pumped out of. The hole and the entire slot should be clean, because the oil has to flow easily through it. Then look at the back end of the bar where the bar studs go through and you should see a small hole near the edge of the rail that needs to be clean as well. While you're at it, run a putty knife or something similar down the slot on both edges of the bar to scrape all the crud out.

You can run the saw with the bar removed to check if the oiler is pumping. If you have a non-adjustable oiler on your 026, it should oil 100% of the time. If an adjustable oiler, it will pump only when you rev the saw, because that type of oiler runs off the sprocket.

There is a kit from Stihl to convert to an adjustable oiler. I have never installed one, so I can't tell you more about it.

Bob

Thanks for the information. I also noticed that the carb only has an adjustment for the idle speed and L setting. but the high speed has nothing in the manual. What brand model carb is this?

It should be a Walbro carb, but for the exact model, you can inspect the body of the carb (not on the covers) for it. It should be stamped into the end that is closest to the cylinder.

Lots of guys replace this non-adjustable carb with a fully adjustable one when they do a muffler mod on the 026's. I believe they like to use a Walbro WT-194 carb that has both the L and H adjustable jets. It runs about $40.00.

Bob

Cool, now if I can go back to my 031av with the adjustable H carb adjustmen. It saiod in the owners manual that you have to be carefull when adjusting it because you can damage the saw if the RPMs are to high. Can you give me any pointers on settin the high speed?

Ah,,,yes. adjusting a carburetor in three thousand words or less. Haha!

Well, on the 031 you start by adjusting the Hi and Lo jets to 1 and 1/4 turns out from closed. Just turn the jets clockwise until there is a noticeable stop. Don't crank them down tight or you risk ruining the jets. Then back them out to about 1 and 1/4 turns. That should make the saw run. You may have to adjust the idle speed screw as well to make the saw idle.

After that, you have to adjust the Lo jet in either direction to make the saw idle well, and accelerate with a snap. If it hesitates or bogs as we say, you don't have it right. You should be able to find a sweet spot.

Then to adjust the Hi speed jet, rev the saw to wide open throttle. This is hard to describe at this point. You want the engine to rev up with a smooth sound, and then when it reaches full revs, it should immediately sound rough. This is called four cycling. The best way to test it out is to run the saw in a log. When you run the saw in the log it should sound like it is running smooth, but when you remove the bar from the cut, it should sound like it is sounding rough and maybe like it has lost some revolutions.

I think you need to use the search function for a better description, as there are untold threads about adjusting the carb on this site.

One of the AS sponsors called "Madsens" has detailed information and videos on adjusting carbs as well, and it would be a great place to hear smooth running two cycling, and rougher running called four cycling.

The 031 is easy to hear normal two cycle smooth sound, and the different sound of four cycling. If you have the Hi speed jet adjusted too lean you may fry your engine. If it is too rich it will four cycle in the cut, and the saw will not develop maximum power, but you won't fry your engine in the short run.

Bob

Of the three screws that you have for adjustment, the large diameter one is the idle speed adjustment, and is not a jet at all. It contacts a "tab" on the end of the throttle shaft.

The "low" speed jet is closest to the cylinder.

The "high" speed jet is closest to the air filter.

If you look where the jets screw into the carburetor, you should see a "L" stamped near the one jet and an "H" by the other.

Ok,,,Go by the marks on the Carb.

The Low speed is always closer to the cylinder than the High speed. The low speed circuit in the carb is always supplying gas to the engine and therefore it is in front of the throttle plate. The High speed is behind the throttle plate and as a result of this it gives gas only when the throttle plate is opened when you press the throttle trigger.

Nope, you really can't fine tune a carb without the bar and chain.

I hope someone answers your question my friend. I know a fair bit about 031 and even a little bit about 026, but I know absolutely nothing about weed whackers,,,,Haha!

I can't imagine that they have no adjustments on the carbs though.
Try a search here in AS, or Google it. I bet you will learn something.

Good luck!

Weed wackers are similar to chainsaws so I would adjust it the same way. Older ones,like older saws,had two screws now most have just one. Like saws weedwackers are supposed to run at full throttle and idle no in between. :)

Back