Stihl 034av question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halffadan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up an 034av for a song but it was sitting a LONG TIME... I'm learning to work on my own saws and I'm replacing the carberator, bought a rebuild kit for the original carb and want to replace the fuel line. Wifey went to the dealer to pick up the fuel line for me and the guy sold her TWO... He said they were the fuel line and the return??? They are almost identical, one is a little thicker than the other and they are two separate part numbers. Did he sell me two the same fuel lines or is there a "return" fuel line? Thank you for helping a homeowner trying to learn to service what I use!

A saw can have multiple 'fuel lines';
- one that pulls the fuel out of the fuel tank (usually has a fuel filter at the end);
- one that leads to a clear, rubber 'priming' or 'purge' valve that pulls fuel through the carb;
- a return line that sends excess fuel back to the fuel tank;
- a short 'impulse' line that connects the cylinder to the carb;
etc.

Screen shot 2016-12-28 at 2.05.25 PM.png

The IPL should show what your saw has, as well as provide parts numbers, and some help on where each goes. Due to the wide variety of saws, carbs, etc., used over time, it is usually safest to take the old parts with you to compare, to make sure you are getting what you want / need.

Philbert

Someone sent you a PM (Private Message) - does not display in the open forum. Could have your IPL as an attachment.

Philbert
but how do I retrieve that PM? Is it here? FB? My email? I'm confused. When I go to my profile here, I don't see messages anywhere. I confident they helped me but I'm new here.

I never saw or heard of an 034 with the primer bulb. I am very sure it has 1 fuel line. Some time after the start of production they switched to a different style fuel line as they did on the 026 also I believe. May be the dealer gave u 1 of each and didn't understand the IPL or he could of given you the pulsating line that goes from the carb to the crankcase or cylinder for the 2nd line. Where the fuel line exits the tank make sure the grommet part fits. The later tanks I believe had a bigger hole and the grommet portion is bigger. Doesn't fit in the early version unless you enlarge the hole. Like I said, it is like that on the 026 and if memory serves me right the 034-36 series as well.

I never saw or heard of an 034 with the primer bulb. I am very sure it has 1 fuel line. Some time after the start of production they switched to a different style fuel line as they did on the 026 also I believe. May be the dealer gave u 1 of each and didn't understand the IPL or he could of given you the pulsating line that goes from the carb to the crankcase or cylinder for the 2nd line. Where the fuel line exits the tank make sure the grommet part fits. The later tanks I believe had a bigger hole and the grommet portion is bigger. Doesn't fit in the early version unless you enlarge the hole. Like I said, it is like that on the 026 and if memory serves me right the 034-36 series as well.
BW, 'impulse line' ?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

*I am not familiar with this saw at all. Asked about a primer / purge valve due to the 'return line' comment. Figured that there was some confusion between the OP and the dealer, and suggested the IPL as a good starting point.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back