Stihl 036 and 036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it. It was very dirty, and in need of routine work. After a clean up, new plug, and carb adjust it runs fine. It is NOT a pro model.

036 NON pro S/N 230341180

I saw a MS 260 NON pro with a S/N of 267664907
How old are these saws?
THANKS

Was this the 036 that showed up on San Jose craigslist last night for $90??
Glad someone here got it if so, it's gone now!:cheers:

I bought it. It was very dirty, and in need of routine work. After a clean up, new plug, and carb adjust it runs fine. It is NOT a pro model.

036 NON pro S/N 230341180

I saw a MS 260 NON pro with a S/N of 267664907
How old are these saws?
THANKS
Lakeside or Thall could run the serial numbers for you, but the 260 is probably < 5 years old. The 036 is quite a bit older.

Was this the 036 that showed up on San Jose craigslist last night for $90??
Glad someone here got it if so, it's gone now!:cheers:

YES, but I missed the splitter in Aptos. $750 for a 30 ton with a 5" ram. Did any body from here get that?

I am really glad that my wife never goes in the garage and almost all of the saws are Sthils. They have the same color scheme. She knows about a couple of them. She busted me on the old Mac 1-86 because of how loud it was. I got it running and she knew that it was some thing "new". The CAD problem seems to be taking over!

Lakeside are you sure the compensating carb was on the 036 pro?

I was thinking it was started on the 360 pro series.

My 036 pro is 98, or 99

(honestly cant remember) It has the compensating carb. I know this because I picked up an air filter a while back for a regular 036 and he gave me one without the compensating hole. Didn't notice until I got home.

I have a MS360 pro that is an 02 that has the exact same compensating carb/filter setup.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.......

I was at the Stihl Dealer the other day looking at his exploded view of an 026/026 Pro. I believe it said that the Pro used a thinner cylinder base gasket which would give the Pro a slight HP increase due to higher compression.

I have a 036 QS it seems to have all the bits and bobs the 036 pro has the big question is, Is it basically a pro with the QS added?
Now that i finaly have a decent compression tester its showing 163psi and with a few extra pulls will show 165 so i guess its in good health.
The front brake wont lock on but will stop the saw until its released is this a fault? I thought it should lock like the 280 i have, but the 280 locks the rear handle down with the choke the 036 does not, Are these just characters of the saw or a fault?

I have a 036 QS it seems to have all the bits and bobs the 036 pro has the big question is, Is it basically a pro with the QS added?
Now that i finaly have a decent compression tester its showing 163psi and with a few extra pulls will show 165 so i guess its in good health.
The front brake wont lock on but will stop the saw until its released is this a fault? I thought it should lock like the 280 i have, but the 280 locks the rear handle down with the choke the 036 does not, Are these just characters of the saw or a fault?

Hello anybody
just dragging this back to the top cheers

Hey guys i aint going to give up until i get an answer lol

To the best of my knowledge................

The chain brake is designed to totally stop chain movement within seconds of actuation. If your chain is still moving I would suggest inspection.

The chain brake is designed to totally stop chain movement within seconds of actuation. If your chain is still moving I would suggest inspection.

It does stop it instantly but the front handle wont lock forward like on a normal saw it wont overcenter and require pressure to take the brake off
back handle brake works fine

I believe the only differences are that the 036 Pro has a decompression valve port drilled and tapped for the decomp valve in the cylinder, of course with the valve installed. Also the Pro version has an adjustable oiler.
do you know if you can install a decomp valve on a non pro 036? I just picked one up and it appears to have the decomp but just flat with no valve.

do you know if you can install a decomp valve on a non pro 036? I just picked one up and it appears to have the decomp but just flat with no valve.
Yes, get one from stihl. Have also read on the forum people using one from husqvarna that supposedly work better.
I have a 036 pro with hyway/meteor jug and slug. Cleaned the decomp but it likes to close after one or two pulls. The husky is supposed to work better.

some people like to put the plug in like you have so they don’t worry about them leaking and burning up the cylinder/piston. Have read here on a cold start to choke it and pull it over a few times slowly before giving it a quick firm pull. Once warm mine always starts with a quick pull.

Latest posts

Back