STIHL 037 custom hybrid build pic heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool thread thanks for all the pics. I'll bet it becomes hard to find a 036 parts saws. :hmm3grin2orange: I find myself looking also. :chainsawguy:

i may be on to something regarding the no-load speed limit.

i found that the carb linkage was bent out of whack just enough that the carb butterfly would not open 100% with the trigger fully squeezed. it was @ approx. 85-90%.
a quick re-bend and the butterfly now opens (and still closes) perfectly.

i lost my tach so i cannot verify higher rpms but seat-o-the-pants tells me the saw is turning higher no-load rpms.
the h screw still has somewhat limited effect but i can get the saw to both smooth out (lean) or four stroke as i adjust it.

a 30" white oak will be the test log tomorrow morning. :chainsaw:

Great to here you found something. I hope it works out for you. You have alot of patience and skill to attempt that build!

i may be on to something regarding the no-load speed limit.

i found that the carb linkage was bent out of whack just enough that the carb butterfly would not open 100% with the trigger fully squeezed. it was @ approx. 85-90%.
a quick re-bend and the butterfly now opens (and still closes) perfectly.

i lost my tach so i cannot verify higher rpms but seat-o-the-pants tells me the saw is turning higher no-load rpms.
the h screw still has somewhat limited effect but i can get the saw to both smooth out (lean) or four stroke as i adjust it.

a 30" white oak will be the test log tomorrow morning. :chainsaw:

Get some video! But I'm guessing that 10% of the butterfly wont make much difference.

Nice Volks, hope that is the fix. If not would a carb off a 440 help you any? I have one here somewhere.

Nice Volks, hope that is the fix. If not would a carb off a 440 help you any? I have one here somewhere.

will it help?
i dunno.
i stuck my caliper into the 036 carb and found the bore to be 19mm. i could not reach down in to the skinniest point.
i measured a handy 038s carb and the bore was also 19mm. again, i cold not get the caliper down to the skinny part.

i wanna see what happens with the 036 throttle opening all the way. if it is improved, i will remove the air filter and see if it steps up again. if it improves again.... well....
thats when you see what i can do with a custom carb box, carb, filter, and various intake boot combinations when i put my mind to it. ;)

If it can't help Volks, it can help me. Send me a list of stuff you need in trade if you're interested.

Wait, lets verify that you're talking Stihl 440.... Echo 440 and Mac 440 won't help me much.

If it can't help Volks, it can help me. Send me a list of stuff you need in trade if you're interested.

Wait, lets verify that you're talking Stihl 440.... Echo 440 and Mac 440 won't help me much.

Yup Stihl 440. Never even seen an Echo or Mac 440 I think! LOL I will dig it out tomorrow.

thats an awsome build thanks for sharing:rockn::rockn:, could you have used the 10mm 044 piston instead:cheers::cheers:

yes i could have.
but the 10mm 044 piston is 50mm and would be used with a 50mm 038 super cylinder.
i wanted to go as big as i could with the p/c so i used the 038 magnum piston and cylinder @ 52mm.
thats 72cc of fun. :)

today's update:

as promised i went out and cut on some white oak today.
seat of the pants results are an increase in speed and torque now that the carb will got to WOT.
tomorrow i will be running the 037 with my 28" bar back to back with my nearly stock 038m in 30+ inch white oak with the same bar and chain so i can better compare the two 72cc saws.

the first video is noodling a fair sized piece of white oak with the 037.
the second is bucking a 30+ inch round with an 18" bar on the 037. as you would guess, the bar is completely buried. :D
both videos were taken by my brother..... he is shaking like he
is de-toxing. :)

noodles.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid263.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii150%2Fvolks-man%2FPICT2889.mp4">

crosscut buried.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid263.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii150%2Fvolks-man%2FPICT2890.mp4">

yes i could have.
but the 10mm 044 piston is 50mm and would be used with a 50mm 038 super cylinder.
i wanted to go as big as i could with the p/c so i used the 038 magnum piston and cylinder @ 52mm.
thats 72cc of fun. :)

MAGNUM...52mm....Yep gotcha now:greenchainsaw:

lost vid

heres a vid of the 037 with 28" bar completely buried in 30+ inch white oak.

my brother and i were cleaning up after a tree service. ;)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid263.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii150%2Fvolks-man%2F037bigcut.mp4">

In your opinion, in the cut how does it compare to a 038 Mag? Stoughter than a 036 but lighter than a 038?

well its tough to say.

the 038 feels stronger.
but i did a comparison of the two saws and they are within a second of each other in the same wood with the same b/c. when cutting a 14" hardwood square cant, i'd figure that is within the margin of error.

the 037 is certainly lighter. but in your hands the 038 feels like it is machined out of a solid block.

That's a very impressive build Volks, and without a lathe or mill. Thanks for sharing your build.

:yourock:
kevin

well its tough to say.

the 038 feels stronger.
but i did a comparison of the two saws and they are within a second of each other in the same wood with the same b/c. when cutting a 14" hardwood square cant, i'd figure that is within the margin of error.

the 037 is certainly lighter. but in your hands the 038 feels like it is machined out of a solid block.

Thanks.

Back