Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is anything aftermarket, I'd walk, without knowing the mechanic. Otherwise, $200 is all he should be getting out of that saw if it runs good.

If its been taken care of, itll be a damn good saw. I love mine and use it a lot. I put a 20 in. bar on mine, makes it a perfect combo.

Thats a fair to good price on that saw. Its a clean looking saw with power just a bit under a 044 and weights what a 460 does. I have used one side by side with my 044 while firewood cutting and really did notice any difference unless cookie cutting. And not much then. It will pull a 28" bar and a 32" in a pinch. If I needed a good 70cc saw I'd give it serious consideration as it is a WELL made saw.

He said He'll drive a ways if you're a serious buyer, I wonder if He'll bring it to louisville ky:laugh: I'm a serious buyer

I just made him a offer he can't refuse. seriously its not a bad deal if its runs and nothing is broken. I would love to have a magnum 038.

I'm going to check it out. One thing that bothers me is it's still running the original 15 yo sprocket, fuel line & filter. Those 3 things are a must replace in my book. I'll have to see how the bar & chain looks too. Hopefully they won't need replacing. Owner says it runs good but is getting heavy for him now being a 14# saw.

I would think that $250 is a fair price for this saw. Heck, I just sold an 028AV Wood Boss for $190. It runs like a bandit. Both of these saws were in the professional series and very well built. I suppose the 038AV was ultimately replaced by the MS361, and I have no idea why Stihl discontinued the 028AV. Did the MS261 eventually replace it? Not sure.

If there is anything aftermarket, I'd walk, without knowing the mechanic. Otherwise, $200 is all he should be getting out of that saw if it runs good.

Aftermarket opinion - agree, $200 max - totally disagree if it is mechanically sound.

I'm going to check it out. One thing that bothers me is it's still running the original 15 yo sprocket, fuel line & filter. Those 3 things are a must replace in my book. I'll have to see how the bar & chain looks too. Hopefully they won't need replacing. Owner says it runs good but is getting heavy for him now being a 14# saw.

I'm guessing the sprocket, fuel line, and filter will need changing, but worth it. If they are original they are probably older than 15yrs! Opening the muffler a tad helps these 038's quite a bit as well.

Got it for $175. It's a 038 AV Magnum II. Seller was original owner and the motor is strong, great compression all original. That's the good news, the bad news was/is the drive sprocket was shot but it was a rim? sprocket and changing that was a snap. Got a slight gas smell so I suppose it needs new fuel line & filter since it's all original. What else should I consider?
1- 18" bar w/2 real good chains and one 16" bar that has about 3/4 of life used, but another real good chain. Both bars are Stihl and chains also.

Cleaned it up and fired up on 2nd pull. The On/off/choke lever is kind of sticky and a little stiff. Probably should think about replacing the air filter if I can find one reasonably priced.

OK you Stihl guys, how do you think I did? This was a stab in the dark for me.

Fabulous stab in the dark. Just check the switch rod for grime buildup that's easy to clean. That should take care of the on/off/choke lever control. Blockage is common on these. The sprocket change-out is almost an automatic on older saws like this.

Hard to believe the fuel line and filter lasted that long. Once again, I change that automatically. Dress the bar using a mill bastard file to knock off the sharp flares on the sides. Wash the air filter in warm water and let it dry. That's usually about all that it needs.

You can probably sell this on E-Bay tomorrow for $230 or more + S&H. However, why on earth would you ever want to do that?

I think that's a great deal...I have one that was given to me and a real stong tough saw...I bucked up a huge maple tree with mine using a 28inch 3/8-7 skip I think that tree was bout 34 inches at the butt end. good luck with it

sap can

Back