Stihl 038 thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
The 026 is not really a firewood saw, at least to me, I think the best firewood saws are in the 60-80cc range. I like my 371xp, wrap handle, big dogs, 28" bar, skip chisel chain. Excellent for falling and bucking small (for B.C.) trees also.
I put up a pile of wood with a little 353 Husky. 52cc I like the saw because it is light.

Lots of good replies, especially from the guys who have personal experience with the 038's.
I got a pair of safety chaps coming (have the ear and eye protection already), then I'm planning on taking an offer to try a MS460 and a 066. Can't wait. :) Only problem is that there is a Stihl dealer between my place and my destination, and after trying the 460...on the way back home...I hope I can keep on driving straight home. :)

Kevin

I've owned my 038 Super (made in WEST Germany, if anybody remembers) since 1984 and it's never failed me. I've never had to do anything but maintain it (air filter, plug and cleaning) Frankly, it's the best saw I own and a real power hog in that old hard Western NC red oak and locust. AND I love to hear that long stroke sound! If you can find a decent one, by all means buy it. Saws owned: Husky 55, 038 Super, MS290FB, MS260PRO, and my Dad's 1964-vintage Sears H47D that still runs and saws!.

Last edited:
I think 044 in good condition runs about the same 036/038. $500 is almost too high for me for a 044. what's the budget?

I've owned my 038 Super (made in WEST Germany, if anybody remembers) since 1984 and it's never failed me. I've never had to do anything but maintain it (air filter, plug and cleaning) Frankly, it's the best saw I own and a real power hog in that old hard Western NC red oak and locust. AND I love to hear that long stroke sound! If you can find a decent one, by all means buy it. Saws owned: Husky 55, 038 Super, MS290FB, MS260PRO, and my Dad's 1964-vintage Sears H47D that still runs and saws!.

This thread is almost three years old. I doubt he's still looking for an 038.

kevin I think your best bet would be try and find a 460 -.046. lots of loggers in ar. use this saw so there should be some out there .I will ask around and let you know if I find something. Jerry

Agreed and couldn't of said it better myself. I have the 038 Super Pro model.

:)

kevin I think your best bet would be try and find a 460 -.046. lots of loggers in ar. use this saw so there should be some out there .I will ask around and let you know if I find something. Jerry
Kevin made this post on 02-15-06 almost three years ago. He may still be looking for a saw, but probably not. He probably will not know what your talking about when you let him know you found him one.

This thread is almost three years old. I doubt he's still looking for an 038.

Kevin made this post on 02-15-06 almost three years ago. He may still be looking for a saw, but probably not. He probably will not know what your talking about when you let him know you found him one.

Yep, I eventually found a wrecked 044 that I rebuilt and am happily running it.

Here's the before and after of the rebuild. It was done on a budget over a few months. It's not pretty, but right now it runs great. I really like the saw.

Now if I had the means, one of the regular 038's (61cc, I believe) would work for me in the 60cc class...but I don't have the means and for my needs (firewood) I really don't need a saw of that size with what I now have (50cc and 70cc class). I might do the unmentionable in a few months...but we'll see how things go.

I will say thanks to the fellas that have mentioned looking for a 038 for me. Another reason why this a good forum to be on...fellas helping each other...even if it's helping each other spend their money...:).

Kevin

Yep, I eventually found a wrecked 044 that I rebuilt and am happily running it.

Here's the before and after of the rebuild. It was done on a budget over a few months. It's not pretty, but right now it runs great. I really like the saw.

Now if I had the means, one of the regular 038's (61cc, I believe) would work for me in the 60cc class...but I don't have the means and for my needs (firewood) I really don't need a saw of that size with what I now have (50cc and 70cc class). I might do the unmentionable in a few months...but we'll see how things go.

I will say thanks to the fellas that have mentioned looking for a 038 for me. Another reason why this a good forum to be on...fellas helping each other...even if it's helping each other spend their money...:).

Kevin

You have a great foundation for a three saw plan....forget the 60cc saw, your next step is here;

attachment.php

You have a great foundation for a three saw plan....forget the 60cc saw, your next step is here;

IF...that is ever to be, it'll probably be the same way I did my 044. A project 064 or 066.

Kevin

PM me please

PM me please:

Just what is a mint condition Stihl 038 AV Super worth??
  1. "not even broke in yet"
  2. 25" Bar and Original Chain
  3. Made in West Germany.
  4. 67cc

Last edited:
In response to the couple of people assuming the 038Magnum is not as strong as the 044, I beg to differ. I've owned both and the 038Mag is the exact same displacement as the 044. The state of tune and sharpness of the chain will determine which is faster. Those who assume the 038 Mag is 'weaker' obviously have never used one.

Agreed, I like the 038 mag better than the 044

I've got an 038 MAGII I've been running lately and it seems to pull a long bar better then the early model 044 I had.
This ones a keeper.
I really don't see much weight difference.

Just something to keep in mind, (and I know everyone is going to jump on this) every 038 I ever dealt with was hard to start. Great saws once they're running, PITA to start. We run 7 stihl saws at work (2 038 mags) and I've got three more at home, 038s are the last ones I pick up ONLY because of this. Once started the first time in any given day, they're fine, but who neds the hassle?

impulse line.

Back